Courtney Cotterill: The Definition of a Head Honcho

Name: Courtney Cotterill

Hometown: Gold Coast, Australia

Age: 20

Major: Creative Writing

Year: Junior

Courtesy: Courtney Cotterill 

‘A mind is a terrible thing to waste’ and Courtney Cotterill sure knows how to put hers to good use. Born in New Zealand but raised in Gold Coast, Australia, Cotterill discovered and quickly fell in love with the world of photography. “I started doing photography my freshman year of high school for an art class, back home in Australia,” Cotterill says, and she hasn’t stopped since. At just 20 years old, Cotterill is quickly making a name for herself. With such a unique portfolio filled with some of the most vivid and colorful photos, one can’t help but fall in love with her portfolio. “I get inspiration from other photographers but I always add my own touch to it and try to create something different because I don’t want to reproduce someone else’s work.” As a photographer, Cotterill is able to bring her visions to life and create new concepts for photoshoots that the world has yet to see.

Courtesy: Courtney Cotterill

Aside from being a photographer, Cotterill is also the Head Writer, one of the Head Stylists, the Advertising Manager, the Creative Director and the Co-Editor-In-Chief of Swatch Magazine. “I joined Swatch Magazine about a year and a half ago. What drew me to Swatch? I liked that Swatch was a small, more intimate team. I got to know a lot of the people and in the process made some friends.” As the Creative Director, Cotterill is responsible for creating the magazine spread, “I basically create the layout for the entire magazine,” she says. With more members joining the magazine this semester, she hopes to delegate tasks this semester. While finding funding for this non-profit magazine is Cotterill’s least favorite part, she states that her favorite parts, “Would have to be coming up with concepts and creating with other individuals who are creatively driven and who have a passion for fashion, photography and writing.”

Courtesy: Courtney Cotterill

For anyone who has ever wanted to be a part of a magazine but has little to no experience, Cotterill says “Just go for it!” Prior to joining Swatch Magazine, Cotterill hard zero experience working for a publication and after a year, worked her way up the chain to the positions she currently holds. She says, “Joining a magazine is ultimately what will give you that experience you are looking for, and you’ll have a team to back you up whenever you need help.” She believes that working for a magazine is a great way to get involved with the Tallahassee community and in the process meet new people and make new friends. “Joining Swatch has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”

A senior attending Florida State. Double majoring in English and French. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.