The Collegiette’s Guide to Dressing for Cold Weather

As the ridiculously hot weather starts to see its way out, it’s been a nice change of pace to feel a drop in temperature outside. Walking into class after a trek across campus finally doesn’t make it look like we’ve sat in a sauna for an hour. We can actually start to wear boots and sweaters.

Ladies, I think it’s safe to say that we’re in the thick of fall.          

Seeing as we do live in Florida, our “cold weather” isn’t really comparable to our friends up North – but hey, once it gets below 70 degrees, us Floridians start to shiver in our flip-flops a little bit. It’s important to note that Tallahassee can especially get colder than other cities in the state, so we have to prepare a bit more than others. Realistically, someone from Miami just isn’t going to know how to dress for cold weather than someone from New York. This is where I’d like to help – because dressing for cold weather most definitely does not mean giant, ugly, fluffy jackets and stupid hats. If there’s one thing you take away from this article, it’s these two things: layering is essential, and it’s important to be comfortable. Starting from the head down, here’s your guide to cute, cold weather clothing:

Beanies/Other Headwear

For days where it seems so cold that you may turn into ice once you get out of bed, consider wearing something on that smart noggin of yours. There used to be a “fact” floating around that said wearing a beanie or other type of hat was essential to staying warm during the winter because – apparently – 70% of one’s body heat escaped from it. Studies now show that this may not actually be true (see #3). Still, wearing a beanie on super cold days will, of course, help you stay warm – and there are a lot of great styles to choose from so you don’t look like this:

source: (http://static.gigwise.com/gallery/6924800_bieber.jpg)

Hey, Justin, what are you doing?

While I personally don’t wear hats of any kind very often, I’ve taken a liking to the slouchy beanies with thick, stitched fabric (AKA cable knits, etc.).

Urban Outfitters – Double Layer Slouch Beanie, $24

House of Fraser UK – Label Chunky knit boyfriend beanie, $29

ModCloth – Cold Snap Stroll Ear Warmer, $14.99

Scarves

Scarves are my favorite winter clothing accessories because of how many patterns and colors they come in – not to mention all the different ways you can wear them. You can use scarves to brighten up an otherwise dark winter outfit. With bulky scarves, go for a thinner jacket or top to keep proportions right. Thinner scarves are a little easier to maneuver but may not always give you the amount of warmth you’re looking for. It’s really up to you and what you like! 

ModCloth – Deserve to Unwind Scarf, $24.99

ASOS – Stripe Scarf in Tobacco, $26.53

Target – Two in One Infinity Scarf, $14.99

Cardigans/Sweaters/Jackets

The staple of your winter attire. Remember what I said about layering earlier? This is the perfect time to do that. When buying a sweater or jacket, give yourself some room to wear a long-sleeved shirt underneath for extra warmth (also, not being able to move your arms around in a jacket is just the worst).

Forever 21 – Marled Tribal Patterned Cardigan, $32.90

Tobi – Don’t Cross Me Knit Sweater, $78

Nasty Gal – Moto Zip Crop Jacket, $88

Jeans/Pants/Leggings

Usually, once you find a couple of great pairs of pants, they’ll be loyal to you for a long time. I prefer dark wash anything, just because I like the way it looks, but it’s all according to what your preference is. With leggings, be sure to wear a shirt or sweater that is loose-fitting and flowy (unless you’re working out, or if you just like wearing leggings as pants then by all means, go for it – I’m with you on that one).

ASOS Curve – Ridley Skinny Jean in Rich Blue, $56.85

ModCloth – Bookmobile Volunteer Pants in Basil, $69.99

H&M – Patterned Leggings, $12.95

Shoes

Get creative with your kicks. Whether you’re a sneaker gal or a fan of boots, there’s a lot to choose from so you can keep your toes nice and warm (cold feet – ew, no thanks).

Forever 21 – Faux Suede High-Top Sneakers, $27.80

Urban Outfitters – Steve Madden Odyssey Over-The-Knee Tall Boot, $169

Hopefully this provides some source of ~*fashionista*~ inspiration as you head into the upcoming winter season – I know I already have my eye on a few things listed on here (and about 500 others after doing research).

Wear what you like; wear what makes you feel good.

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Her Campus at Florida State University.