The Collegiette’s Guide To Happy And Healthy Living How To Beat Your Midterm Life Crisis

It’s that time of year again. The time we’ve all come to know and hate… midterms. A time where professors prove to their students that they are superior and we know nothing. A time where you don’t sleep for days, survive off of Starbucks and Jimmy John’s, and wear the same articles of clothing for days on end because you simply don’t have enough time to put on something else, and quite frankly you probably don’t care what you look like.

Well, Collegiettes, I have good news for you — you’re almost done!! To help get you through the rest of midterms, use these 10 tips, and I promise you’ll be just fine!

1. Take a deep breath.

Sounds simple enough, right? You’d be surprised… many college students (myself included) get so worked up studying and trying to figure out the EXACT number of questions we get to slide by that we forget this easy step. If you take a moment to clear your brain and just focus on your breathing for a second, you’d be amazed by the calming effect it will have that will make studying a whole lot easier.  Get up and walk around. Maybe step outside or go for a run — anything to ease your mind.

Photo Credit: makeameme.org

2. Puppies.

Since puppies were created to make humans happier, I think this one is self-explanatory. But here’s a tip: Google “puppies wearing hats and monocles” (shout out to my little sister for discovering this) and you will never feel sadness again. If you don’t like puppies… well then I don’t know how to help you.

See what I mean? How can you be stressed knowing that little guy is in the world!

3. Make a study group.

It’s okay to be “that guy,” the one that emails the class to create a study group. You never know if one of your peers was in a class you missed and vice versa. Study groups are a great way to compare notes and discuss the main concepts you’re learning. Teaching is, after all, one of the best forms of studying because you’re reinforcing the material. Offer to help a peer out!

Photo Credit: memecenter.com

4. Dance parties.

Dance parties are right up there with puppies. Get out your Beats Pill and crank up your favorite Queen B song, or whatever the kids are listening to these days, and just dance like no one’s watching. If that’s not your style, just put in your headphones and head bob to the song of your choice. This is a great way to unwind and have some fun after getting some quality studying done!

Photo Credit: memecenter.com

5. Re-write your notes.

When you’re in class, vigorously writing down everything your professor is saying while contemplating whether you’re in the right class because it sounds like a different language, it’s no surprise when the notes end up being a mess and illegible. Go through your notes and try to rewrite them to sort out all your thoughts while reinforcing the material.

Photo Credit: quickmeme.com

5. Change locations.

Staying in one place the whole time you’re studying can cause stress. Instead of always staying in Strozier, try studying on Landis Green, or in your apartment living room, or your residence hall study room. A change of scenery might be just what you need to get your brain flowing again.

Photo Credit: imgflip.com [created by author]

Okay, so maybe I had to create this meme myself… but it works because Ryan Gosling.

6. Go to your professor’s office hours.

I was supposed to get a ‘C’ (if I was lucky) in my chemistry class freshmen year (hence the reason why I’m a PR major), but I went to my professor’s office hours EVERY DAY for three weeks leading up to the exam and I got a ‘B’ instead. ‘Nuff said.

7. Utilize free campus tutoring.

FSU is great about offering free tutoring to students who are struggling in classes. Even if you’re not struggling, there is no harm in seeing a tutor. If anything, go to see if they know what you’re being taught. If you do this, you can have more confidence going into the exam knowing that you are prepared! Check out ACE tutoring in the William Johnston Building or Strozier for walk-in sessions.

Photo Credit: imgur.com [created by author]

8. Puppies.

Oops… Did I already mention that?

Yeah, I didn’t think you’d mind.

9. Treat yourself to a good dinner.

It’s important to eat right when studying and to eat healthy snacks throughout the day. At the end of midterms, grab some friends and treat yourself to a good dinner because you deserve it! Good food equals brain power!

Photo Credit: memecenter.com

10. Know that everything will be okay.

In the end, know that no matter what happens with your exams, everything will work out. There are plenty of times for you to succeed in life so it’s okay to fail sometimes. All you can do is your best. Here’s a quote from Winnie the Pooh that my mom always shares with me:

“Promise me you’ll always remember: you’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

It is so true!

So with that… good luck with midterms, Collegiettes! You got this!!

Photo Credit: diy.despair.com

Courtnee is a senior at the beautiful Florida State Univeristy majoring in Public Relations. She is involved in various student organizations on campus, is a Resident Assistant in Landis Hall (shout out to her BLG fam and the 4th floor!), and works part time at The Zimmerman Agency doing what she loves.In her free time, you can find Courtnee reading a book, playing soccer, binge watching netflix, laying on the beach, or eating entire pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in one sitting (usually while binge watching Netflix).She has a slight obsession with puppies and boybands and her wonderful family.After graduation, Courtnee is moving to Munich, Germany for a year where she will be an au pair. Once back from this journey Courtnee hopes to move to New York City and find a way to become a part of the SNL team, whether it's as a public relations associate, cast member or janitor... She WILL make it to SNL.She hopes you take something out of "The Collegiette's Guide to Happy and Healthy Living," even if it's just a laugh. Thank you for reading :) "She was a girl who new how to be happy even when she was sad, and that's important." ~Marilyn Monroe
Her Campus at Florida State University.