Kristin Klimley is one of the sweetest and smartest people I have had the pleasure of meeting. While her beauty is apparent on the inside and out, she also has a knack for languages, helping others, and a love for learning.

Major: Psychology and Criminology

Minor: French and Arabic

Hometown: Tampa, FL

Year: Junior

Her Campus (HC): What organizations are you apart of on campus? Do you have any leadership roles?

Kristin Klimley (K): Lady Spirithunters, Garnet and Gold Scholar Society Participant and Tutorial Assistant for the Athletic Department. I am the Social Media Chair for Psi Chi National Honor Society, and Dance Marathon’s Retention Assistant for this past DM

HC: What was it like working DM this year as a Retention Assistant?

K:  Retention Assistant was a completely new position and it was one of the most difficult but rewarding experiences of my life. I loved the flexibility I had developing a new position. Everyone on CORE was amazing and really supported each other throughout the year. I got to see my ideas and plans coming to fruition this year at DM, and that was definitely the most rewarding part.

HC: Why did you choose Psychology and Criminology as your major?

K: I’ve always been interested in psychology and people’s behavior. However, in college I really started to focus on delinquent and criminal behavior (hence criminology) and from there I developed my interest in human behavior and hope to expand my knowledge of human behavior across different cultures.

HC: Wow, French AND Arabic as your minor, why did you choose those two languages?

K: I chose French because I had already started taking French in high school in the IB program (International Baccalaureate). Arabic I chose because it is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world. There are also many preconceived notions about Middle Eastern people and I wanted to be able to communicate with them and understand them. French and Arabic are also 2 of the 6 official languages of the UN.

HC: What would be your dream job after graduating?

K: I’m torn between multiple “dream jobs” at the moment. Working as a psychiatrist for a government agency is fascinating to me. However, research is a large part of my life and I still have so many unanswered questions in my head that I can also see myself in academia.

HC: Where did you study abroad and why did you choose to study abroad?

K: I studied abroad in Paris, France last summer. I am a French minor and have been taking French for over 7 years. I have always wanted to go to France and given the opportunity through FSU I just needed to take it. Studying abroad opened my eyes to so many new cultural experiences. It was one of the main reasons why I decided I want to study human behavior on a global scale.

HC: Do you have plans to study abroad again?

K: I hope to study abroad again in Meknes, Morocco with a Boren Scholarship. I want to improve my Arabic and get a chance to study behavior in a completely new culture setting and experience the different cultures.

HC: What sorts of experiences will Morocco offer you?

K: I would be in Morocco for around 10 months taking intensive Arabic language courses. Throughout my time there I would be going on cultural excursions to experience all that Morocco has to offer. I would also be talking with professors in Morocco who study behavior and getting a better understanding of the cultural differences between Morocco and the United States. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.