Brangelina: The End of an Era

If you had high hopes of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie beating the myth of all celebrity couples falling apart in Hollywood, your world is about to be turned upside down. Early Tuesday morning, CNN broke the news that Angelina has filed for divorce from husband of two years Brad Pitt, citing “irreconcilable differences” and wanting full, physical custody of their children.

Courtesy: Bustle

We’ve watched the love story of Brangelina from the beginning: the messy break up of Brad and Jennifer Aniston, watching them star in the classic 2004 film, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, seeing their children grow up right before our very eyes, to now. Brad and Jennifer were the power couple of their time and their five-year marriage, which ended in 2005, meant everything to fans. With the release of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, however, speculation soon began to arise that maybe the on-screen chemistry between Brad and Angelina was just as steamy off-screen. For the longest time Brad and Angelina had denied to confirm if they were together or not, but by January 2006 the two were expecting their first child, Shiloh. Since 2006, the pair was nearly inseparable and now have a total of six children together. In 2013, the pair proved that they were the ultimate, supportive power couple when Angelina made the life changing decision of having a double mastectomy. Fast forward to 2014, the two decided to tie the knot at an exclusive ceremony at their French chateau. Things seemed to be going great for the couple, until the devastating news broke the Internet.

Courtesy: People

As soon as the news of the break up came out, so did the rumors. Most of these rumors deal with Brad cheating on Angelina with his Allied costar, Marion Cotillard. Neither Brad nor Angelina have spoken about these cheating allegations, but that didn’t stop Marion from having a say in the matter. According to Harper’s Bazaar, Marion shared her reaction to the situation she is now apart of in an Instagram post, stating in the caption, “This is going to be my first and only reaction to the whirlwind news that broke 24 hours ago and that I was swept into… I do very much wish that Angelina and Brad, both whom I deeply respect, will find peace in this very tumultuous moment.” In the post, Marion also stated that she has met the love of her life and the two are expecting their first child together.

Just recently, Brad is facing allegations of child abuse. According to People, a source has confirmed that Brad has not only been verbally abusive with his children, but also has gotten physical with one of them.

Our hearts have been on a wild rollercoaster following major break ups such as Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake, Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling and Jennifer Gardner and Ben Affleck. But just because Brangelina broke up, it doesn’t mean we should lose hope in celebrity couples. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds, Gigi and Zayn and of course Queen B and Jay-Z are still around to mend our emotional hearts during this time. And who knows, we might even start to become hopeful in even the most complicated relationships that we struggle to keep up with. Miley and Liam, Kourtney and Scott, we’re talking about you guys.

While all this is going down, we can’t help but think Jennifer Aniston is sitting back and watching this all play out thinking, “I told you so.” Maybe she’s called this from 2005, but we still can’t help but feel heartbroken for the loss of one of Hollywood’s most beautiful and loved couples.

Courtesy: Giphy

Her Campus at Florida State University.