Is it just me or was that the longest January that anyone has ever experienced? Never mind that.

Alas! It has arrived: February, that month we all know and adore, the month that we all love to love. February commemorates love with Valentine’s Day (as propagated and advertised since last month), but most importantly, it commemorates and archives black pride. Every year, 28 days (except for the occasional year where we get 29 days) serve as a recognition of the many black heroes who have impacted history.

Courtesy: Giphy

In the voice of a former member of the black community, Stacey Dash, “I take this opportunity to wish everyone, white friends, you too, a very Happy Black History month!”

Now, the questions raiding the minds of every conscious individual making up a fraction of the African diaspora are, “Should I intentionally be ignorant this month, in such a way as to meet and exceed any and all pre-existing notions of stereotypical ‘black’ behavior? Or should I, rather, do just the opposite: strive for success in all that I do, becoming daily the greatest version of myself to audaciously defy all claims that presently view black people in a negative light?” My inner Huey Newton summons my obedience in correspondence to option one, but the upcoming Disney-Marvel film, Black Panther, begs all individuals of the black community to consider option two in efforts to continue the manifestation of black excellence.

Courtesy: Independent

In perfect harmony—and as I’d like to believe, in Disney’s timely consideration—with black history month, Black Panther’s release date of Feb. 16 is no coincidence. A long overdue movie showcasing black excellence is just what we’ve all needed, and perhaps it took 2018 to deliver that. What better way to celebrate blackness than to have Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett and Daniel Kaluuya, to name but a few, in one movie?

Not counting sales in any other country, sales in North America alone have rocketed to a shocking and unforeseen $150 million in advance tickets. The numbers continue to climb with the film just weeks away from debuting on the big screen. Fandango recently announced the success in sales have surpassed any that it has ever seen for any superhero movie.

Since the surface of a teaser in 2016, minds have been set on seeing this film and the anticipation is real. I particularly don’t like to see movies when they first come out, due to all the hype and hassle to watch a movie in a room full of strangers. Call me bitter, I won’t deny it. But to those who can relate, catch me one week later, on Feb. 23, getting my black panther on.

Disney has done its part in contributing to black history month, 2018. If you’ve got nothing worth celebrating this month—or even if you do—the real celebration began Feb. 1, and you’re invited. Typically, if we are being “politically correct” here, you have until Feb. 28 to join the festivities, but we’ll be here all year.

Her Campus at Florida State University.