The Best of “Talla-Classy:” 3 Bars That Will Make You Want to Leave the Strip

Everyone at FSU has heard of Tennessee Street’s row of bars aptly titled “The Strip;” it’s practically a freshman’s rite of passage to leave the Strip on a Saturday night and wake up Sunday reeking of sweat and regret. Tallahassee gets a bad rap for being “Tallanasty,” but there are actually several classier bars around town with equally awesome drink specials and a 60% less chance that a Sperry-clad freshman will spill his drink all over your awesome new skirt. I’ll take you through a list of 3 bars and their specials (in no particular order) that will totally change your undergrad social life (Note: You must be 21 or older to enjoy some of these establishments. No fakes, guys!):

1. Primetime Sports Lounge & Restaurant

This is my personal favorite place to hit up on a Saturday night. Friendly wait staff, unique menu items, and amazing specials every day of the week keep me and hordes of other hungry students coming back for more. The chillaxed vibe of a sports bar combined with the clean and classy vibe of an upscale lounge breeds a new kind of establishment where you can kick back and watch the game in style.

Happy Hour: 4-7 pm, midnight – 2 am, 50% off drinks

Can’t miss specials: Gourmet burger and 2 beers for $10 on Mondays, BOGO bottles of wine on Wednesdays, 50% off dessert and martinis for Ladies on Saturday

2. Alchemy Spirits & Concoctions

No it’s not a science experiment gone wrong – it’s Tallahassee hottest new speakeasy bar. The rules are strict: dress in snazzy attire, make reservations in advance, have a “password” on hand, no cell phones and no flash photography…perfect for date night! Besides the obvious flair for the Prohibition era, this bar sets itself apart with expertly hand-crafted cocktails, a cozy, intimate atmosphere, and cute bearded bartenders. Stop in when you’ve got a few bucks to spare and a craving for high quality liquor.

Happy Hour: Nonexistent, unfortunately 

Can’t miss specials: Though there aren’t any regular specials, Alchemy frequently has events like jazz nights, wine/gin tastings, poker nights, and themed costume nights. Check out their Facebook page to stay tuned with their events.

3. Level 8 Lounge

We’ve all seen those Hollywood movies where the seductive and successful female lead mingles with the well to dos on a rooftop lounge overlooking the city. Fortunately for you, Level 8 offers you the same opportunity right here in Tallahassee! Level 8 Lounge is situated in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Tallahassee Downtown. Young professionals and students alike gather on the rooftop deck of Hotel Duval to share a drink with friends as the sun sets or indulge in gourmet appetizers on a date overlooking the twinkling lights of downtown Tallahassee. If you are suddenly stricken with the desire to wear nice heels that won’t get ruined on a typical college bar floor, pack your clutch and head to Level 8.

Happy Hour: 4 – 8 pm, $4 drinks

Can’t miss specials: Free champagne for the ladies on Wednesday night, aka “Little Black Dress Night,” and Seven Deadly Sins Saturdays: try all 7 “deadly” cocktails, get stamped on your punch card, and come back another day to receive a free t-shirt!

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!