Becca Levin: Volunteer Domestic Violence Hotline Operator, Refuge House

“Over 700,000 women a year, or about 1 woman every 1.3 minutes, are estimated to be victims of sexual violence. Among female victims, 61% are under age 18.”

-The Refuge House, Tallahassee

While many of us are aware of the tragic and traumatic events that some women and their children face at the hand of domestic and sexual violence, we might not know the true extent of the violence, or how to help. Class of 2015 Social Work student Becca Levin graciously volunteers her time and energy to helping ease those who are affected by volunteering with the Refuge House in Tallahassee.

Her Campus (HC): Why was the Refuge House founded? What is its mission?

Becca Levin (BL): Violence poses a serious threat to women’s lives across the nation. Two to four million women a year are battered, and domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women aged 15 to 44. Sexual violence is the most rapidly growing violent crime in America.

Refuge House is the domestic and sexual violence center for Leon and the seven neighboring counties in North Florida. Refuge House first opened its doors in 1978 and later merged with Tallahassee Rape Crisis to provide sexual violence services. The mission of Refuge House is to provide direct services to battered women, their children, and sexual assault survivors, as well as to eliminate conditions in society that allow such violence to continue.

HC: How did you get involved with the Refuge House?

BL: I became a volunteer sexual assault advocate with the Women’s Center of Jacksonville in the Rape Recovery Team Three last summer. I decided to continue with a similar agency in Tallahassee, Refuge House.

HC: What events have the Refuge House planned in order to raise charity? How have you helped with these projects?

BL: As part of my social work class, we were tasked with a project to involve the community in raising awareness, connect to, and work with a nonprofit of the group’s choice. My group chose Refuge House because of my connection to the agency. We decided that the best way to help Refuge House the most would be to raise funds that they would then be able to use however they see fit and where it is needed most. We also partnered with Gaines Street Pies to host a fundraiser. On the night of the fundraiser, if the customer mentioned Refuge House at the register, 10% of the purchase would go back to the agency. The event was a HUGE success. Over 80 people mentioned Refuge House and we raised $270 that night. Overall, we raised over $300 which includes online donations for people who were unable to attend the event.

Here is the link for future events: http://refugehouse.com/index.php/upcoming-events

Refuge House has also created new PSAs and billboards around Tallahassee to make more of a presence in the community.

HC: How can we help those who are victims of domestic violence?

BL: Talk about it. Speak out and speak up. Raise awareness. NEVER blame the victim.

Further information to see how you can help can be found here.

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.