Audrey Dorrans: A Military Brat on a Mission

Name: Audrey Dorrans

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Leonardtown, Md.

Age: 19

Major: Psychology and Criminology, with a minor in Italian

Courtesy: Audrey Dorrans

HerCampus (HC): Why did you pick FSU?

Audrey Dorrans (AD): I applied to twelve different schools and got into all of them which was pretty cool. Penn state really wanted me to play soccer there but it was way too cold. I wanted something warmer so I was caught between UF and FSU. I stood on Landis during my tour here and it felt like I belonged and coming from a military home, you don’t get that feeling very often.

HC: Has military life influenced you?

AD: I would not be the person I am today without being part of a military family. I was raised to be very independent. I started helping to cook dinner and do laundry when I was just four years old. I didn’t meet my father until I was actually eighteen months old because he was deployed. I could never understand why he was always gone until I was fourteen or fifteen. When I finally realized it, I wasn’t as upset by it because I understood what he was sacrificing for us and for others.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

AD: I’m involved with FSU Skip Trip, Relay for Life, Alpha Omicron Pi as well as the Panhellenic Community as a whole, Alpha Sigma Pi, SAMS, and Coping through College.

HC: How did you become involved with Relay?

AD: I was sitting at the Alpha Omicron Pi table for Relay for Life and one of my sisters, Raquel, came up to me and asked if I made an account. I told her that I did and that I donated the mandatory $10 to it. She told me I could do better and that I needed to do more. My big came up and agreed. My big challenged me to raise more money because she knows I’m one of the most competitive people ever. In six weeks, I raised $1065. I was the seventh highest fundraiser by February. It was very cool to go from not being involved to being very involved, especially as a freshman. I felt really connected to my whole family because both of my grandmothers, my grandfather, and my mother all had various types of cancer. From that point, I knew I was going to do as much as I possibly could for Relay.

HC: What are your future goals with Relay?

AD: I want to raise enough money so that we can actually find enough money to find a cure for cancer. I want to be in charge of the board for Relay for Life not just for FSU but the whole organization. One of my best friends in Melbourne who graduated from FSU last year still participates and helps run Relay now. I know I want to stay involved with this throughout my college career and afterwards too. This year I’m planning on starting fundraising earlier than six weeks and I want to raise at least $2000.

Katie is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in Marketing and minoring in Commerical Entrepreneurship. She is one of Her Campus's national collegiate Style Editors but don't worry, you can still find her writing for Style and Career. She's a South Florida girl through and through and loves all things beachy and outdoorsy. When she isn't obsessively online shopping, looking up her daily CoStar, or reading every book in the "Free" section on iTunes, she's trying to convince people that they don't need an Instagram. Feel free to add her on LinkedIn (because networking is the new adulting) and check out her website. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.