Allison Couch Talks WVFS Tallahassee, the Last Word and More

Name: Allison P. Couch

Major: Information Communication Technology

Year: Sophomore

Relationship Status: Single af

Hometown: Winter Garden, Florida

Her Campus (HC): For starters, what made you decide to come to Florida State?

Allison Couch (AC): To be completely honest, when I came to Florida State for my first official tour and visit, I saw a boy in a Twenty One Pilots shirt, a boy in a Neck Deep t-shirt, a girl in a crewneck boasting The Wonder Years’ logo and a girl with a Fall Out Boy tattoo: it was 100 percent destiny. I also really didn’t want to go to UF.

HC: You could definitely see yourself at this school, that’s great! Why did you pick Information Communication Technology (ICT) as your major?

AC: I really want to do social media as a career once I graduate and ICT was really the only way to go for that. The Public Relations (PR) program here wasn’t exactly what I wanted and the courses offered in ICT were a little more tailored to what I wanted to get out of my degree, so ICT seemed like the most logical option. I’m so happy it’s my major too because I genuinely enjoy my degree as a whole and the classes I’ve taken so far have been interesting and applicable for both my near and far futures.

HC: That’s awesome that you found the perfect major! What are you involved with on campus and how did you get involved with it?

AC: I am on the PR team at WVFS Tallahassee 89.7FM (FSU’s radio station) and the Arts and Life editor for The Last Word FSU. For both of them, I originally got involved because I wanted ways to meet new people, but I have stayed at both partially as resume builders and partially because I absolutely love being a part of them– WVFS especially. The radio station is my favorite place on campus and through it I have met some of the most extraordinary people. I had to slow down my involvement this semester (which made me so sad) but I hope to come back swinging next semester.

HC: I love the radio station here and it’s awesome that it’s student run! What would you say your favorite thing about FSU?

AC: The people. I absolutely love the people at FSU. Obviously there are like three basic psychographics on this campus, but the one I fit into holds some of the coolest people I have ever met. I always love crossing campus and seeing my peers and friends (dirty converse, faded band t-shirts and Goodwill flannels and all) and feeling like I know the world with every peace sign I throw up. That and Club Downunder/Union Productions. I had no idea I would get to see so many incredible shows ON CAMPUS and for FREE! UP knows their stuff and I know that’s one thing I will miss terribly when I leave here.

HC: Club Downunder is such an amazing thing and it’s crazy that so many people don’t take advantage of it! What are your plans for the future?

AC: My plans for the future (as of right now) are to intern and eventually work in the music industry doing social media and typographic design for record labels. My biggest goal right now is to get a position at Epitaph records, but any label would be a worthy home. For right now, my goal is to keep kicking as much ass as possible in my networking and social media presence, but personally and with the social media and communications internship I have with The Vinyl District. I hope to use TVD as a connection to achieve more goals, but for now I’m focusing on that and hardcore crossing my fingers.

HC: That’s awesome! I hope you get a position at a record label! Last question – what is a fun fact about yourself that most people don’t know?

AC: I treat social media like a science (because it is) and I think Clickhole is an art (also because it is). But more importantly, I listen to a lot of entry-level hardcore music and I’m a high-key supporter of Kanye 2020.

Sophomore computer science major at Florida State University that loves everything fashionable, yoga, food, art, and technology related. Originally from Boca Raton, Florida but currently residing in Tallahassee attending the best school in the nation!
Her Campus at Florida State University.