Every year, Florida State gives the parents of their fellow Seminole student population, an opportunity to partake in a weekend of festivities all across campus. Along with the events planned, a home football game is also included in the weekend and it just so happens that this year’s opponent is Wake Forest. Parent’s Weekend that many generations of the student body have come to know and love is back yet again. October 3rd and 4th will be days filled with events morning to night, literally from about 9 in the morning till about 2 the next morning (yes 2 AM). Guaranteed to promote bonding and an ever lasting Seminole spirit, many students consider this their favorite time of the year. Whether you get homesick on a weekly basis, or if your parents are alumni, or if they just wanted to get out of the house because their vacation time allows them to do such things, Parents’ Weekend should be a big excitement for everyone.

Well, let me clarify, mostly everyone. While there are some students whose parents plan time away every year for four years to visit their children, there are some others that fall into a bunch in which their parents have never come and more than likely never will. When reaching out to various students across campus for their take on the Weekend, results were quite diverse. With a sense of positivity one student finds Parents Weekend to be a great, “walk in my shoes” experience. On the contrary, another student stated because her mom never makes travel plans for the occasion, she has no clue what the weekend entails. Wait…You’re wondering the same thing? Well, some of the events prepared for this Parents Weekend include but are not limited to: Paint-a-Pot, Movies on the Lot, Karaoke at Club Downunder, and even three special shows at our very own Jack Haskin Circus Complex.  Even a Silent Auction will take place that Friday along with a Faculty Reading and Book Signing for all those book lovers.  From taking a tour across campus to listen to the President’s formal address to the parents, there is something within the itinerary for the weekend that every parent should and would enjoy.

So what one question should you be asking right now? Yes, you’ve got it! Will your parents be making their way over to FSU? If your parents aren’t able to come into town for such an experience this year, put it on your bucket list to make a reality at least once before graduating as an undergrad. Five years from now, it will not be as easy, if even possible, to get your parents to stop by your job miles away and see a day in the life of you. Aside from that, October 24 & 25th will be the Freestyle Parent’s weekend. Registrations for the primary weekend ended the midnight of September 26th. But, don’t hesitate for a moment to learn more about Freestyle Weekend. Welcome home, Moms and Dads and go Noles!

Kiandra Brooks, originally from Miami, FL is a senior at Florida State with a passion for all things artsy and fashion. Majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Communications, she has big aspirations to move to a big city and flourish as a magazine journalist and dancer. When she’s not editing her works, she is dancing her life away at the studio. Kiandra loves a good book in her free time and is beyond excited to see what this last year has in store for her. This girl is always up for a good time, just be sure to bring some Chipotle along. Oh yeah, just hold the guacamole. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.