you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ali Levy Lands Professional Internship at Disney

Ali Levy, studying pre-vet at FSU, tells us about her college experiences and how they have helped shape who she is and set her up for her future. She has been involved in Hillel, the Pre-Vet Club, Seacrest Wolf Preserve, Disney College Program and more. Ali gives us her best advice for landing an internship and working for Disney.

Her Campus (HC): What are some of your most memorable college experiences?

Ali Levy (AL): My most memorable college experiences would probably be the first time I ever went in Westcott fountain on my birthday and then probably the camping trip I went on Freshman year with Hillel where I met some of my closest friends to this day! Also, my first time going to Bullwinkle’s after I turned 21 was a really good experience, a very interesting night.

HC: Can you tell us about your experience in Birthright?

AL: Birthright is a trip for Jewish individuals around the world to travel to Israel for 10 days. This trip is a way for Jewish people to connect with the Jewish homeland, Israeli culture, history and religion. You get to Hike up Mt. Masada, Roam through the mystical streets of Tzfat and go out for a night on the town in Tel Aviv among many other incredible experiences!

HC: Can you tell us about Seacrest Wolf Preserve?

AL: Seacrest Wolf Preserve is a place I found out about through the Pre-Vet Club at FSU my freshman year. I’ve been volunteering there almost every Saturday for the past 4 years. It’s an incredible learning facility where you get the opportunity to get up and close with wolves in a natural habitat. Here you learn about wolves, their role in the ecosystem, what we are doing to try and save wolves all over America and many other conservation efforts!

HC: What experience do you have with Disney?

AL: I honestly was never that obsessed with Disney. But during my sophomore year I had a friend do the Disney College program and then during my junior year I was desperate for a job and kind of applied for the college program out of the blue and didn’t really think anything would come of it. And then a couple of weeks later I interviewed and got accepted. The Spring and Summer of 2016 I participated in the college program and it was such an incredible experience! I met so many incredible people from all over the world. My role was Merchandise and I worked on the Westside of Disney Springs.

Courtesy: Ali Levy

HC: What did you like about working there?

AL: The thing I really liked about working at Disney is all the incredible people I got to work with and all the cool people I got to meet. One thing I loved about Disney is literally everyone is happy and even if people aren’t happy, I can literally make some magic, which is probably the best part of the job. I was really lucky to work in a place that not only I loved my job, but more coworkers and my leaders. My leaders especially were so encouraging and even after I left, helped me when I decided I wanted to apply for a professional internship. Another great thing about working for Disney is the constant opportunity to move up within the company, Disney has no bounds for personal growth and it’s encouraging to work for a company like this one (it also doesn’t hurt that I get to go to the parks for free).

HC: What is your next role at Disney?  

AL: My next role at Disney will be a Conservation Education Professional internship. I will be working all around animal kingdom teaching guests of all ages about conservation and ways they can help the planet by being more sustainable and about different animals and plants and their impacts on the ecosystem.

HC: What tips do you have for landing an internship?

AL: One of the biggest things I tell people who ask me about landing the college program or a professional internship is to not give up! Positions literally come out every semester, so if one doesn’t happen, sharpen up your resume and cover letter, get some more experience and definitely try again! Another important thing I learned from going through this process is to genuinely be yourself. If you pretend to be someone you are not, just to get the job, you’ll find your self very unhappy. For the College Program, you will get to put your level of interest in a bunch of different areas where you could be working. I highly recommend only putting high interest where you are really interested. I say this because if you don’t think you’ll be happy cleaning bathrooms and “code Vs” around the park, DO NOT put interest in custodial. But just be aware, Custodial CPs seem to be the happiest and most proud cast members I ever met (so don’t be discouraged if you do get custodial)! I met so many people on my program who were either really unhappy or even left early because the DCP was not what they expected. Many people forget it is a job and that you are there to work. It’s just extra awesome because on days off you can run around Disney world like it’s no ones business, just don’t get caught up in thinking you’re on a six-month vacation!

HC: What will you miss most about FSU when you graduate?

AL: There is something about being in college where you are in this bubble. In this bubble, you’re kind of an adult because you’re on your own and your parents aren’t right there to fix everything for you, but FSU also provides a multitude of services that is included in my tuition and I don’t have to immediately worry about money because my student loans cover all my bills. Once I leave FSU, that security I feel in this bubble will likely pop. I will also miss ALWAYS getting free stuff, sometimes it’s food, others times it’s water bottles and T-shirts. I think most of all I will miss having all my friends in one place. It’s sad because I’ve had 1-4 years with some amazing people and it never seems like it’s enough. Once I graduate everything will be different, we will all be going different places and who really knows what the future holds?

HC: How has FSU helped shape who you are & prepared you for life after college?

AL: Well, FSU has definitely helped prepare me to be an adult in the real world. Like I said before, being in college is like a bubble— where you are an adult, but not really. So FSU has given me the ability to “train” as an adult in a pretty safe setting. If I mess up, I know me resources that can aid me, all my friends less than 10 minutes away and my extra loans in savings just in case. I wouldn’t really have anything if it weren’t for FSU and all the opportunities I have found here. I would’ve never found out about Seacrest, met my dearest friends from Hillel or the Pre-vet club, I wouldn’t even have Disney if it wasn’t for all the hard working staff in the business center and psychology advising office that helped me figure out how to get credits for working at Disney. I really would not be the passionate, Disney obsessed, animal lover and hard worker I am today without this university.

HC: What are your future plans?

AL: My most immediate future plans are to head down to Orlando and start my internship at Disney. After that, I plan to spend some time figuring out exactly what I want to do with my life. I promise, that anyone who is graduating and doesn’t have a set plan for the rest of his or her life, IT IS OKAY! I literally have no idea what my future holds besides Animal Kingdom and Conservation Education. I might stay at Disney and work my way up. I’ll probably go to Graduate school at some point, but for what? I’ll let you know when I figure it out!

FSU student, tutor, editor and writer
Her Campus at Florida State University.