7 Affordable Places to Live While Interning in NYC

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Travel Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from the best places you need to roadtrip to before you graduate to the top eats across the pond (that’s London town, for those of you who haven’t brushed up on your British). We promise we’ll leave you wanderlusting for more. After all, summer vacation is just a few weeks away! 

Here we’ve provided you with a guide to give you a better idea of where you can call home during your internship. No matter where you choose to stay, don’t forget to get outside and explore all of the great activities the city has to offer!

1. New York University

NYU offers a variety of housing options from triple dorm-style to single apartment-style, prices ranging from $195-$422 per week. Purchase of a meal plan is required with all dorm-style options and ranges from $140-$176 per week. Dorm-style housing is located in the main Washington-Square Campus area and apartment-styles are located in various neighborhoods in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Staying with NYU comes with added perks, such as access to the Palladium Athletic Facility and the NYU Student Health Center.

Courtesy: NYU

2. The Webster Apartments

The Webster Apartments is a women-only option located on 34th St. between 9th and 10th Ave., a short distance from Penn Station and the subway. There is a flat rate of $360/week which consists of single-person, dorm-style rooms that include a bed, dresser, desk, bookcase, chair, sink, closet and telephone. There are communal bathrooms on each floor, and there are washer and dryer machines in the building. What makes The Webster uniques is that the price comes with a meal plan of two meals per day, along with housekeeping services, such as making your bed and emptying your trash every weekday as well as vacuuming and cleaning sheets and towels once a week.

Courtesy: Webster Apartments

3. Fashion Institute of Technology

FIT’s housing is located in mid-town Manhattan, near the NJ Transit, LIRR, MetroNorth, Amtrack, Penn Station, Port Authority, and the subway. FIT does not go on a week-to-week payment like the others. They offer one 11-week session, and the cost is $3,895 for a shared apartment; $6,046 for a single apartment. Amenities include city views, air conditioning, 24-hour security, a fitness center and each apartment has private baths and a kitchen. Meal plans are required for students staying in a traditional-style dorm and are accounted for in the price.

Courtesy: FIT

4. The New School

This housing option is located near Union Square in Chelsea. Amenities include air conditioning, kitchenettes, art studios and 24-hour security. This is also offered in a 10-week block session which range in cost from $3,300 to $4,350.

Courtesy: The New School

5. Columbia University

Columbia offers housing in their East Campus. This is described as “a suite-style building comprised of five to six person suites sharing a bathroom, kitchen and living room.” Air conditioning is included as well as access to the Dodge Physical Fitness Center. They offer nine and ten week sessions that range in price from $2,732 to $3,873. This dorm offers spacious living rooms and beautiful views.

Courtesy: Columbia

6. Educational Housing Services

EHS offers a variety of more luxurious housing options in different areas all over New York. You can choose from buildings in Brooklyn Heights, the Financial District, the Upper East Side, Midtown West, and Midtown East. Prices can range from $3,500 to $6,800 for a 10-week lease. Amenities differ depending on location but some include air conditioning, private bathroom, fitness center and a movie theater. EHS offers 24/7 Student Life Staff which acts as a concierge to the residents. EHS does not offer meal plans.

Courtesy: EHS

7. School of Visual Arts

SVA offers 11-, 12- and 13-week rentals that range from $3,750 to $7,500 in either Ludlow which is located on the Lower East Side, or Gramercy (all women) which is located on the South side of Gramercy Park. Amenities include laundry facilities, communal kitchen, outdoor terrace, air conditioning, private bathrooms and refrigerators in each room. SVA does not offer meal plans.

Courtesy: SVA

Hey my name is Taylor! In my free time I like reading/watching videos about anything beauty related. I have way more lipstick than a girl could ever need, but I will probably buy more. I'm a documentary addict and love learning about new things.
Her Campus at Florida State University.