5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Studying Abroad

As a current study abroad student, I was given a whole lot of advice before I left the United States. I got some really great advice from friends, family and even teachers. Most of it was the same: pack lightly, try new things, meet new people, learn Spanish. But after almost a month in Spain, I’ve realized that there are some other really important things to keep in mind before studying abroad for the semester.

1. Learn as much as you can about what cultural differences to expect.

There are some obvious cultural differences between America and every other country in the world. In my experience, I had already known that the citizens of America and Spain spoke different languages, dressed in different ways, used different currencies and ate different foods. However, it’s important to dig deeper than the obvious cultural differences and research the smaller details. For example, in Europe, it’s not customary to provide a tip after receiving a service. From a fancy dinner to a manicure to a cab ride, you’re expected to only pay for the service being provided. In fact, providing a tip can sometimes be seen as condescending or culturally ignorant. Educating yourself on the little details will save you a lot of embarrassment and, in this case, a little extra money!

2. Spend as much time out of your comfort zone as possible.

As a south Florida native, I have just about zero experience in a snowy setting. Aside from a family ski trip when I was seven, I also had no experience on the slopes. So, when my study abroad program announced a weekend ski trip to the mountains, I was pretty nervous. The fact of the matter is I’m here to try new things. I’m here to step outside my comfort zone. So, I signed up to go skiing (with a two-hour beginners class included, of course). I ended up learning really quickly and having the time of my life! If I would’ve let my nerves overcome me, I probably would’ve never had an opportunity like that again. 

3. You’re going to have some alone time…use it wisely!

Most of your experiences will be done in groups or with the buddy system. But there will be some moments in your day where your friends are in class or your roommate isn’t around. There are countless things you could do in these gaps of time, but choose wisely! You didn’t go abroad to watch Netflix in the middle of the day; save that for the end of the night, before bed. Instead, try going to a coffee shop, speaking to a local, or just walking around the town. Last week, I had about 30 minutes alone before my first class. I decided to walk around the corner of the study center and order an açaí bowl to-go. While I was there, I not only ordered in Spanish, but I also had a short conversation with the girl at the counter. This might seem like such a simple task, but it was the first time in my experience abroad that I felt at ease communicating with a local.

Another fun way to spend your alone time is to just walk around the city and explore. Sure, you could always Google some fun things to do around town. But I’ve personally found far more hidden gems without the help of the Internet. Stumbling into random hole-in-the-wall places has lead me to everything from vintage thrift shops to swing dance restaurants to ice cream cones shaped like roses.

4. Make an effort to form strong friendships within the program.

The most common advice I got before studying abroad was to meet locals. Don’t get me wrong; it’s incredibly important to meet new people and immerse yourself in the culture! However, it is equally as important to get to know the people within your study abroad program. You have to keep in mind that the people around you are going through the exact same thing as you. Having close friends by your side makes it so much easier to go out and try new things. Aside from the fact that there is definitely safety in numbers, having friends beside you makes even the smallest tasks a lot of fun!

While my friends and I definitely love to eat out, we’re also balling on a budget! Every other night or so, we head over to the grocery store together, split the cost of ingredients and spend the night cooking. It’s during these nights we spend at home that we make such fun memories together. Even the smaller chores, like taking the trash out to the dumpster across the street, become so much better when you have someone to do them with!

5. Don’t pressure yourself to become fluent in another language.

Here in Valencia, Spain, I am taking an intermediate Spanish class. On the very first day, my teacher said, “by the end of this semester, none of you will be fluent in Spanish.” That statement really caught me off guard because that was something I had really been looking forward to before coming here. He explained that to become fluent in a language, you must undergo a full cultural immersion over the course of several years. He said you would have to go cold turkey on your first language and truly devote all of your attention to the language you want to learn.

The fact of the matter is that when you study abroad in another country, you’ll definitely pick up on the fundamentals of the language. But even if you try to speak the language all day, you’re still going to go to your English-speaking classes, come home to your English-speaking roommates and call your English-speaking family and friends back home. So, instead of pressuring yourself to become fluent, focus on learning the basics. Focus on the terms you’ll need to know while ordering food, starting a conversation, going shopping or asking for directions. Learn everything you’ll need to get by in the city and then just try to soak up everything else you hear. Listen to the music that the locals listen to, eat the food that the locals eat and watch the movies that the locals watch. You’d be surprised at how quickly you can learn a language that way!

All images are courtesy of Gabriela Rodriguez. 

School: Florida State University Year: Senior Major: Editing, Writing, and Media
Her Campus at Florida State University.