neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Surefire Ways to Get You Out of Bed

Not everyone is a morning person and if you are, we envy and salute you on your success. But for those of us who enjoy sleeping an extra 15 minutes (or two hours) past our alarm clocks, this blog post is for you.

Set a soothing tone for your alarm: From personal experience, setting the alarm to play an obnoxious alarm that makes me feel like I am in a spy movie, thus making me jolt awake in bed and groggy is not a good way to wake up. It will make any person immediately shut the alarm off and go straight back to bed. Setting up a soothing tone or some classical music guarantees that you will eventually* wake up to the sound of music but in a more peaceful way.

*But what if I just sleep through my alarm and miss class and fail a test because of this method essentially ruining my grade for the semester? If you are one of those kinds of people, I recommend putting your phone in a cup or in a metal box, that way the sound becomes amplified as if connected to a speaker. Additionally, you can always try that method AND put your alarm across your room so you physically have to get up and turn it off. The movement will definitely take an edge off your sleepiness.

Drink water before going to bed: Drinking a glass or two of water before bed keeps you hydrated enough while you sleep. Then in the morning – either just before your alarm goes off or when it does – the first thing you will have to do is use the bathroom. Once you are up and you do your morning duties in your private domain, the wave of sleepiness that would normally overtake you is now gone.

Program your coffee maker: To those morning drinkers, it is easier to have your essential needs already made before it becomes a thought in your head. Coffee makers have the option to be set to make your coffee at a specific time. This is especially helpful to those who like to wake up and go straight to class.

Have a warm meal to eat: For those who like to drink a cup of Joe on the go straight from the sack, we really do not recommend it. Eating a nutritious breakfast is essential to your body and for your health. In fact, eating something for breakfast prevents you from wanting to eat calorie loaded snacks later in the day. If you are the type of person who prefers to sleep longer over eating, well I can’t tell you what to do, I’m just a person writing a blog, not a cop, but I highly recommend that you have your roommate make you breakfast – a little financial persuasion never hurt anybody – or just wake up 10 minutes earlier than normal and make some eggs, as it literally only takes five minutes.

Change your bed: Now maybe waking up for you really is not all that hard and the real culprit to blame for your lack of wanting to get out of bed is in fact your bed. The betrayal! Well it is no surprise to anyone in this town that most furniture companies provided by our apartment complexes are just uncomfortable. Most of the beds provided are hard, stiff, and you can feel the springs when you lay down. Our solution: invest in a memory foam sheet. It will make sleeping on a rocky ground terrain feel like you are sleeping on a cloud. Not only will you be able to get a solid night of sleep, waking up in the morning should be a lot easier when you are not in aches and pains from your bed.

Senior in Creative Writing at FSU. Aspiring journalist/novelist/world traveler. She can be seen binge watching Netflix through the broken blinds of her window and scarfing down large personal pizzas from Papa Johns. Her hobbies include being introverted, having a romantic love affair with Ben & Jerry (scandalous!), playing with people's pets at their houses instead of actually communicating with anyone, and sending brilliantly funny snapchats to her friends list.
Her Campus at Florida State University.