kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Stages of Going to the Gym as Told by ‘New Girl’

“Let’s go to the gym.” These five words are the literal worst. Why is it that working out is so good for us, but is so hard to actually do? I don’t know. You see those fitspo posts on Instagram, thinking it’s going to be a piece of cake (cake sounds good right now, actually) to build a rockin’ bod, but we all know it’s not actually that simple. So, to help relate to the struggle you and I both know to be all too real, here are the five stages of going to the gym as told by your favorite New Girl’s characters.

1. Deciding to go

This is the best stage. You feel motivated, hyped up and ready to crush it. During stage one, you’ve probably just looked through some fitness model’s Instagram or just finished that last piece of Halloween candy. Either way, you are so ready to hit the gym.

2. Trying to motivate yourself to actually leave the house

The excitement of pre-gym hype is wearing off and you’re trying to remember why you even thought this was a good idea in the first place. Now you actually need to go to the gym — cue bathroom pep-talk. Do what you need to do to motivate yourself to put on those running shoes and get out the door, son.

3. Going inside of the gym

So, you’ve made it to the gym, but now’s the time to walk in and actually get started. Whether it’s the leach, your apartment’s gym, Gold’s, or some other fitness center, this stage is pretty intimidating. I could just workout tomorrow, you say to yourself, or I could just do some sit-ups at home. But you and I both know the only way a workout is getting done is through those god-awful doors. So, get in there and show that workout whose boss, collegiette.

4. Actually working out

Stage four: the workout. It’s time to go lift weights and do some squats. The girl to your right is squatting 200 pounds, and the girl to your left has a six-pack of abs like you’ve never seen. It’s okay, though, because you’re here working your butt off (literally) and all that matters is that you’re doing your best. So, collegiette, pick up those dumbbells and free weights and crush it.

5. Getting home

Your endorphins are running wild, and you feel like superwoman — because you are! As cute and easy as those fitness models on the Internet make it look, working out is hard. It’s physically and mentally exhausting, but the benefits are definitely worth it. So, enjoy that post-workout protein shake, and pat yourself on the back because, girl, you crushed it.

*All GIFs courtesy of Giphy 

Go Noles.
Her Campus at Florida State University.