5 Post Grad Activities (Besides Getting a Job)

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Career Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from what NOT to put on your resume to a Q&A with an RMPD major currently interning at ELLE magazine in NYC. This week definitely won’t be filled with the cliché career advice you’re always hearing (take for instance there’s even a piece on how to deal with rejection). Don’t miss out! 

After four wonderful years of college, it is finally time to say goodbye to your undergraduate life and go out into the real world. Will you continue your education (16 years just isn’t enough), get married (commitment-it does exist!), move far, far away (Cali, anyone?), or start the anxiety-ridden search for your career (9-5 for life)? Before you start down the path of adulting, whatever that may be, squeeze in these five fun and spontaneous activities while you still can!

1. Take a road trip

Courtesy: msecnd.net

Hit the road, Jack. Call some friends, pack a bag, pick a cool place on the map and just go. It won’t be long until the only thing you use your car for is transportation to and from the office and later, the daycare, so definitely utilize this lapse in life-changing decision- making and take advantage of your momentary lack in obligations. Head out West to California if you have time to kill or explore the Southwest and hit all of the beaches from Tallahassee to New Orleans. The options are endless, so get to packing!

2. Get crafty

Courtesy: mychicdventure

Pretty soon you’ll be moving into a new place, and while decorating is fun, it can also be very pricey, so save yourself a few bucks by making your own decorations! This sounds like a lot of work depending on what you choose to do, but there are so many different things you can create with just a few basic materials. Take a look on good ol’ Pinterest for inspiration or just make it up as you go; one trip to Michael’s can do wonders, I promise!

3. Make a mini cookbook

Courtesy: Topinspired

Countless nights of pasta and microwaveable meals have been good to you these past four years, but it’s time to graduate from Easy-Bake. Unfortunately, we can’t all have the touch of Ramsey, but you can come up with some recipes that work for you and your schedule. Google five to seven easy and doable recipes and try them out, adjusting them to your own taste and preference. Once you’ve gotten the hang of cooking them, write down the final recipes and start a mini collection that you can turn to whenever you’re in need of a little change.

4. Explore your new city

Courtesy: Urbdezine

For those who are planning to start fresh in a new location, the mere thought of this change can seem a little bit overwhelming and scary. Before you get settled into your new work or school schedule, take a day or so to see what’s around and explore the area. Getting a feel of where the nearest grocery store, doctor’s office, mall, and hangouts are will help you adjust and feel more comfortable in no time!

5. Travel abroad

Courtesy: Goodmumhunting

For a good majority of graduates, traveling abroad is one of the first things on their bucket list; what better time than now? Before you get settled in long-term to a job or start graduate school take this opportunity to travel while life is not too hectic, yet. Although traveling abroad can be very expensive and difficult to plan, the experience is invaluable and can give you an edge in the work force if you are able to volunteer or intern while there. If you have the means of making it happen, go for it!

Hope is a Junior double majoring in Media Communication Studies and Sociology. She enjoys listening to music, traveling, and spending time by the pool/beach.
Her Campus at Florida State University.