stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Fitness Hacks for When the Gym is Packed

Courtesy: Fitwirr.com

Whether you’re fulfilling a New Year’s resolution or continuing your old habits, it’s likely you’ve stepped into the gym at some point in 2018.  No matter the time of day, it seems like the gym is bustling with students working on 2018 goals and prepping for Spring Break.  Stepping into a packed gym can be irritating if you’re looking to complete a quick workout, try out some new equipment or de-stress from your classes.  To help keep you motivated, here are a few hacks to make your workout the most enjoyable and efficient it can be, even when the gym is packed!

1. Don’t think, just go.

Before reading the rest of the tips, this is something important to keep in mind.  I’m sure we can think of a dozen reasons why we shouldn’t exercise any given day (homework, naps, work), but never let the number of people in the gym be one of them.  Thinking about it will put you in a negative mindset, making your workout less enjoyable.  Don’t think about it.  Just go!

2. Have a plan in mind.

Know what workout you want to do before you step through the doors, and have a set goal of what you want to get out of your gym time.  Working on legs or arms?  Keep a few exercises written in your phone so you can get right to it.  Trying to increase your mileage or increase your weights? Have those definitive goals written down too.

3. Be flexible.

Does this sound familiar?  You drive to the gym, ready to conquer the Stairmaster, and find that they’re all taken. Use this as an opportunity to try something new.  Try sprinting intervals on the treadmill, or turn the elliptical to a higher setting than you did last time.  This allows you to make the best use of your time, and you could even find a workout you enjoy even more.

4. Ask questions.

Never be afraid to ask someone, how many more sets do you have? unless there’s already a line being formed for a machine or weight rack.  More than likely they’ll only have a few left, or may offer to have you work in between sets.  If you don’t want to wait, see if you can find a similar machine nearby – many of them work similar muscle groups, just in slightly different ways.

5. Utilize free weight and body weight exercises.

If all the cardio and weight equipment is being used, what’s a collegiette to do?  Find an empty space, grab some dumbbells and create (or look up) a HIIT circuit that will increase your heart rate and strengthen your muscles in 20-30 minutes.  You can incorporate moves like burpees, walking lunges, and planks to achieve a full-body workout.  Often, creativity is key when faced with a busy gym – but a circuit repeated three to four times will get you moving and keep your metabolism burning long after your workout.

When the gym is packed, remember that flexibility and creativity work to your advantage.  A willingness to try out some new exercises and workout machines prevents your workouts from getting monotonous and challenge your body and mind in new ways.  2018 is the year to stop making excuses and start crushing your fitness goals!

Her Campus at Florida State University.