absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Healthy and Delicious Smoothie Recipes

A couple of Christmases ago, I asked for a NutriBullet so I could make smoothies at home and to be honest, it was the best gift I received that year. Smoothies are great, easy, and healthy ways to make your diet healthier. So, whether you are a fitness pro and just want to try out some new recipes, or whether you want to incorporate some better choices into your diet, here are four healthy smoothies, that are great for both pre and post-workout, and are guaranteed to make your life a little bit sweeter.

1. Beginner’s Luck Green Smoothie

Courtesy: 100 Days of Real Food

It’s good to start your day off with a green smoothie to start your day off with a boost of vitamins and antioxidants. Even though the idea of green smoothies can be intimidating, the great thing about this recipe is that you can’t even taste the spinach due to its mild flavor, making it taste more like a regular fruit based smoothie. I recommend you use frozen fruits, so the ingredients can blend together smoothly and to prevent a watery consistency.

Ingredients:

• 1 cups spinach
  • 1 cups water
  • ½ cup frozen mango
  • ½ cup pineapple
  • 1 frozen banana

2. Berry Muffin Smoothie

Courtesy: Blogilates

This is an indulgent smoothie for all the berry lovers out there. Some days we can’t afford to cheat and have blueberry pancakes or a muffin for breakfast, so this smoothie is a great compromise. It is a great pre-workout smoothie or breakfast meal replacement. If you aren’t a fan of coconut, feel free to replace coconut yogurt with your favorite vanilla yogurt, instead.

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cup frozen blueberries (or any other favorite type of frozen berry)
  • 1 tbsp. maple syrup
  • ½ cup oats
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • 1 cup plain coconut yogurt

3. Chocolate Almond Banana Smoothie

Courtesy: Five Heart Home

Another great meal replacement or post-workout snack if berries aren’t really your jam. Plus, it totally tastes like a milkshake! Filled with bananas, almonds, and chia seeds, this smoothie is filled with protein and fiber. If you aren’t a fan of almonds, you can easily replace almond butter with peanut butter and just take out the almond extract, as well.

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
  • 1 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 bananas, broken into chunks and frozen
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons creamy almond butter
  • 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey, optional
  • 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • A dash of pure almond extract
    • be careful when using the extracts, too much can ruin the taste of the smoothie

4. Kale, Berry and Acai Power Smoothie

Courtesy: Deliciously Ella

Whether it is in a bowl or a smoothie, acai is the best. This is great post-workout smoothie to help with a speedy recovery after a long and strenuous session at the gym. Feel free to add or substitute your favorite protein powder, or even flax seed. Don’t let the kale steer you away either, like the “Beginner’s Luck Green Smoothie” listed above, the other fruits, especially the acai will balance out it’s “leafy” flavor.

Ingredients:

• 1 ripe banana
  • 1/3 of a cup of blueberries
  • 1/3 of a cup of strawberries (50g)
  •  1/2 a cup of kale leaves
  • 1/4 of a cup of almond milk or water
  • 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon of acai
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Gaby is an FSU alumna who majored in Creative Writing and minored in Communications and Psychology. She also enjoys iced coffee, rose-scented candles, and short stories.
Her Campus at Florida State University.