4 Easy Ways to Make Your Low-Budget Holiday Party Lit AF

With finals approaching, everyone is on high-alert. It’s a very sensitive time around the Florida State campus, and some of us just need a break before all the mayhem ensues. Since the holidays are rapidly approaching, and so are finals, why not celebrate before the stress of finals week? If you are broke, like most, and want to throw a holiday party, but do not have any idea as to where to start, here are just a few small tips that you (and your bank account) may like!

1. Pick a theme

Every good holiday party has a theme: ugly sweaters, winter wonderland, Christmas cheer, Hanukkah happiness, or my favorite hybrid — Ugly Christmas Sweater Cookie Party! It’s the first thing you need to do when deciding on hosting your party, and is the best starting-point for planning. From here, you decide everything that follows.

2. Decorations

We all know that towards the end of the semester, the little bit of financial aid money we have left is spent on coffee. But it cannot be a holiday party without the correct decorations, because then it would be a regular party, right? It’s best to shop décor at the places college students can afford — Goodwill and the Dollar Tree.

Dollar Tree can have some great finds, such as garland, balloons, and different knick-knacks that are equal to Party City. Goodwill can have some great dish options that will help spruce up any home — and as a bonus, you may be able to find some clothes that go along with your theme! If you strike out with both of these, though, it’s always a great option to start coupon-ing at some places that may be more of your aesthetic (P.S. Always DIY).

3. Invite close friends

You don’t want your party to be full of people you barely know, so keep it to close friends! This will allow you to really enjoy everyone’s company and not stress about the messy clean-up tomorrow, because of random people spilling drinks or making a mess.

4. Have yummy food

This may be self-explanatory, but food is essential to having a great party! If you are on a budget, make your party is a pot-luck and have guests bring a dish for everyone to enjoy. Or, pick a theme that goes along with food ,and make only that dish. For example, if you were hosting a cookie party, there is no need to make 10 other dishes in addition to cookies — keep it simple with just cookies. Everybody will love the idea of a party centered around a dish (how great would it be if you went to a Macaroni and Menorah party?).

These are just some tips to make the best holiday party ever, but really, it will be the best if you just relax and enjoy those around you. Happy Holidays, collegiettes!

*All images courtesy of GIPHY.

Food Network and puppies for life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.