3 Tallahassee Festivals You Don’t Want to Miss

The semester is certainly ramping up at this point in the year, but it is important to take some time for yourself to relax. If you’re looking to get away from the books sometime during April, here are three local festivals that’ll surely break your book boredom.

Courtesy: Facebook

Word of South Festival

The annual Word of South is back again, and this time with more culture, arts and fun than ever before. The festival, which is held at Cascades Park and is FREE for all, includes a variety of activities and is fun for any age. Word of South is a festival that celebrates literature and music, with performances by over 100 internationally known writers and musicians on seven different stages around Cascades Park. Musical guests include a mix of locals, like CAP 6 and Faking Jazz, to bigger artists such as Lisa Loeb and Eric Paslay. The festival will also consist of readings and panels from a variety of different authors.

The festival is April 7th through the 9th, beginning at 6:00 PM on Friday, 11 AM on Saturday and 12:00 PM on Sunday, and there is sure to be something here for everyone. Check out the Facebook page or Word of South’s website for more information.

Courtesy: Facebook

Lemoyne Chain of Parks Art Festival

A trademark of Tallahassee culture, the annual Lemoyne Chain of Parks Art Festival works to bring together all aspects of the community, mixing art exhibitions and live entertainment. Located in Downtown Tallahassee, you can stroll through the Spanish moss-hung trees and enjoy, and perhaps purchase, some of the art displayed by over 150 artists from around the country. The festival will be accompanied by food trucks, games, chalk art, live music and much more.

The festival will be held Saturday, April 15th from 10AM-7PM and Sunday, April 16th from 10AM-5PM and is free. For more information, visit the festival’s website.

Courtesy: Facebook

Tallahassee Brews & Burgers Festival

Maybe culture and arts isn’t quite your style, but day drinking is right up your alley. The third annual Tallahassee Brews & Burgers is the one for you. Saturday, April 15th at Brass Tap in Midtown will consist of two things, as the name would suggest: burgers and beer. Though the tickets can be a little pricey, your tickets gets you unlimited beer tasting from local breweries like Grasslands Brewing Company, Proof Brewing Company, and Tally Brewing co. Various vendors including Spear It and Township will be going head to head to win the title of “Best Burger.” And the best part? A portion of the proceeds will be donated to non-profit organizations—so you can justify indulging a little!

The event will be Saturday, April 15th from 2-6 PM. You may purchase tickets in advance here—hurry, before prices go up! More information can be found on the Facebook event.

Make sure to take a break from the books in these last couple weeks of classes and enjoy all that Tallahassee has to offer you!

A Media and Communications Studies & Spanish double major with an unhealthy love for corgis. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.