3 Hikes to Kick off Your Summer

There are countless benefits to going outside and enjoying the raw beauty that Florida has to offer. Studies have shown that people who spend more time in nature, or as some call it “forest bathing,” have lowers levels of the stress hormone cortisol than those who spend their days cooped in a stuffy classroom or office. Summer is the perfect time to explore the true wild side of Florida. Here are three beautiful places to hike to get started on your summer of adventure:

1. Blue Springs State Park

Located in Orange City, Florida, in addition to the numerous trails located throughout the park, Blue Springs State Park is a popular spot for kayaking and swimming. In addition to this, the spring is the largest spring off of the St. John’s River. The park serves as one of the largest refuges for West Indian Manatees.

Courtesy: Florida’s Springs

2. Florida Caverns State Park

This park, located in Marianna, Florida, is a rare gem in that it is one of just a few state parks in Florida with dry caves, and is the ONLY park in Florida to offer tours of the caves. In addition to the caves, the park features the Blue Hole Spring which is connected to the Chipola River. The gorgeous park is a popular destination to for swimming, fishing, camping and hiking.

Courtesy: Florida State Parks

3. Bok Tower Gardens

The gardens, while not an impressive display of Florida’s natural beauty, hold an important place is the history of Florida. The park itself is a National Historic Landmark featuring beautiful gardens, a tower with a 60-bel carillon and is a refuge for squirrels and 126 species of birds. Edward Bok purchased the Iron Mountain land due to the fact that at 298 feet above sea level, it is one of the highest points in Florida and features a beautiful sunset. His creation of the tower and gardens heightens and highlights this magical, natural display.

Courtesy: Reserve Orlando

Her Campus at Florida State University.