Finals week is upon us and if you’re anything like me, music is something that gets you through study sessions. Personally, I like a mix of songs—old and new—when I’m studying. I like chill songs that I can play in the background while I’m writing but I also like to play upbeat music for when I need an extra push for motivation. Here are some songs to consider adding to your playlists to get you through the week!

1. “Come Through and Chill” – Miguel featuring J. Cole and Salaam Remi

Come Through and Chill is, for lack of a better word, chill. Any collaboration between Miguel and J. Cole is a great collaboration, in my opinion, and this one is near the top of the list. Miguel’s voice is like velvet from the second he croons “Hello, stranger” and we can always count on Cole to drop a couple nuggets of wisdom in his verse. This is a song that you could easily vibe to in the background while also not getting too distracted from what you’re doing.

2. “Formation” – Beyoncé

Beyonce is a must in any playlist that I make. This song made the list for the simple fact that she sings “I dream it, I work hard, I grind ‘til I own it.” These lyrics are basically my life motto and whenever I need a boost of motivation I turn to Queen Bey, specifically this song.

3. “In the Air Tonight” – Phil Collins

Phil Collins is a classic. This song is a classic. This song is a slow burner until the trademark drum break comes in and the entire mood of the song changes. Because it feels like you’re listening to two completely different songs when you hear it, it’s perfect for studying. Get to work during the first half of the song and then be energized by the drum break.

4. “Be Alright” – Ariana Grande

This song is a bop. It’s perfect for when you’re overcome by stress and you hit a wall while studying. Grande belting that we’re going to be alright over and over reassures you that everything will be okay.

5. “Be The One” – Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa is great, collegiettes, if you haven’t checked out her album you definitely should. This song is infectious and automatically puts me in a good mood and gives me summer vibes every time I hear it. Kick back and pretend you’re on the beach during the 3 minutes and 22 seconds of this song.

6. “Weekend” – Mac Miller featuring Miguel

So, this song makes the list basically because of the hook. I feel like we all have those weeks where all we want to do is make it to Friday and this hook perfectly articulates that feeling. Feel free to blast this one once Friday rolls around.

7. “Somebody Else” – The 1975

“Somebody Else” is melancholy if you really listen to the lyrics. The synths and overlapping of the vocals add to the moodiness of the song but it is one of my go-tos when I want to vibe but also pay attention to what I’m working on. I can easily enjoy this song while not breaking my focus too much.

8. “Blessings” – Chance the Rapper featuring Ty Dolla Sign, Raury, BJ the Chicago Kid, and Anderson Paak

When convincing one of my roommates to try out Chance the Rapper, I told him that his music makes me want to go to church. Chance incorporates gospel elements into some of his songs that I appreciate—they make me feel like I’ve gone back home for Sunday service. With that said, this version of “Blessings” is another spiritual moment on Coloring Book. The constant questioning of “Are you ready for your blessings?” gives me the drive that I occasionally need to buckle down and get to work.

9. “Freudian” – Daniel Caesar

Daniel Caesar is another underrated artist that I think everyone should know about. “Freudian” is the 10-minute-long conclusion to his album by the same name, and like Chance, Caesar incorporates gospel elements into most of his songs. “Freudian” is a longer song due to the fact that there is a two-minute break between the first half of the song and its conclusion, but it is well worth the time. You can choose to take a break from your studies during this song or you can use it to work. Regardless, this track is a treat.

10. “Everywhere” – Chloe x Halle

“Everywhere” is a motivational song for me. Chole x Halle start the song by proclaiming “I got money everywhere, falling off the tree.” As a college student, I, unfortunately, do not have money everywhere, but this song gives me the drive to continue to further my education with the hopes that maybe one day I can bellow out that I have money everywhere.

11. “Dog Days Are Over” – Florence + the Machine

Florence and the Machine is one of my all-time favorite bands and this is the song that introduced me to them. At one point in time, “Dog Days Are Over” was on every movie and the music video played on MTV every morning. This song is another infectious song. It’s a feel good song and that’s made known the second the song begins with the pluck of strings. Do yourself a favor and check out Florence and the Machine. Their musicality and theatrics make you feel as if you’re on another planet.

12. “Floating” – Alina Baraz featuring Khalid

Alina Baraz and Khalid have collaborated once before and I enjoy their complimentary voices together. Floating is a dreamy track that you can take a break from your studies to listen to.

13.  “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” – Michael Jackson

You can’t ever really go wrong by listening to Michael Jackson while studying. Honestly, it was difficult to pick just one song by him, but I eventually decided to go with “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough.” From the second the song starts I get this sense of happiness that you’ll hopefully feel too.

14. “Let’s Go” – Khalid

Khalid is one of my go-tos for peppy music. “Let’s Go” is one of my quintessential summer songs. I am instantly on the beach when I hear this song. Play this as you leave your last final to get yourself into that summer mood.

Good luck on your finals, collegiettes!

– HCXO

All GIFs courtesy of Giphy.

Her Campus at Florida State University.