12 Events to Attend in Tallahassee Before You Get Hit With Finals Week

Finals week is about to smack us all in the face with a long-anticipated dose of reality, but that doesn’t mean we should deprive ourselves of any and all fun during the days leading up to finals week! If you’re looking to make the most of your remaining days leading up to the dread of exams or if you’re just in the market for some cheap and even free entertainment, then read on for a list of some awesome events happening in the Tallahassee area this week. Try not to procrastinate your studying too long though!

Monday, April 23

The grand opening of the Midtown Rebel’s Boutique:

Celebrate the opening of Tallahassee’s newest boutique on Monday from 10 a.m.-7p.m. and get yourself some sweet threads for exam week because if you look good you test good, right? Between 10-11 a.m. there will be surprise discounts for all customers and between 4-7 p.m. they will be offering a special discount to Rebellion Members. If you want to become a member before then, visit their website and click “Join the Rebellion.” 

Courtesy: Tallahassee Democrat

Vegan Catered Dinner with Seminole Dining:

The Ethical Food Association of FSU is hosting a vegan dinner on the second floor of 1851 from 6-8 p.m. on Monday. The Ethical Food Association will be voicing the need for vegan and vegetarian options on the Florida State campus, discussing opinions of current dishes that are available, and continuing to build a strong relationship with Seminole Dining and our food providers. The vegan dinner is completely free too. 

Tuesday, April 24

Yoga and Yogurt:

If you’re a fan of exercise or frozen dairy products, come by Landis Green between 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on Tuesday for some yoga and frozen yogurt with the Inter-Residence Hall Council of FSU! It’s a great chance to treat yourself while squeezing in some much-needed relaxation.

Open Mic Night:

Feel the need to vent your finals frustrations in the form of a song? The Student Life Cinema is hosting an open mic night on Tuesday at the SLC Cyber Cafe from 8-11 p.m. Grab your pals and drag them out of Strozier for an evening of tunes and talent.

Wednesday, April 25

Last Call before the Wrecking Ball:

As most are already aware, FSU’s beloved Oglesby Union will soon be demolished for reconstruction. So, there will be a series of commemorative events from April 25-28 that will honor the time we’ve had with it. On Wednesday, come by the Union Courtyard between 12-2 p.m. to participate in one of FSU’s greatest traditions for the final time: Market Wednesday. There will be the usual vendors present, FREE cupcakes, Paint-a-Pot, a corn-hole tournament, a photo booth and more! Later in the evening there will be a final show of local covers in the beloved Club Downunder; doors open at 8:30 p.m. and the show will start at 9:30 p.m. 

Courtesy: Florida State University

Thursday, April 26

Sky Zone Ladies Night:

Calling all ladies: Sky Zone is bringing back Ladies Night! On Thursday from 5:30-8:30 p.m. all gals are welcome to head over to Sky Zone for a night filled with SkyRobics, food, local vendors and more. The entry fee is only $5. Another cheap and fun way to burn off stress and calories!

Black Mirror Episode Viewing and Discussion:

Do you love Black Mirror? Well, you’re in luck because FSU Innovates is hosting a viewing and discussion of an episode on Thursday at 5 p.m. At FSU Innovates in room 112, the Pitch Room, guests are invited to watch an episode and then listen to guest speakers talk about the impact of social media on society. Get ready for some major plot twists that will surely take your mind off of exams.

Friday, April 27

Just Chameleons at Proof:

If you’re just looking to vibe to some quality music and try a new brew, head to Proof Brewing Company on Friday at 8 p.m. for a good time and the guarantee of some dancing too!

Avengers: Infinity War (The IMAX Experience):

On Friday, the Challenger Learning Center is inviting any and all to their opening day of “Avengers: Infinity War” at various show times. Check out their website for show times and ticket pricing. There will be 2D and 3D showings.

Saturday, April 28

Bags for Wags 2018:

If you want to contribute to the wellness of the Leon County Humane Society, join them on Saturday from 12-5 p.m. for their annual Bags for Wags Corn-hole tournament and fundraiser. The event will take place at Bradley’s County Store and all funds raised will be put towards the veterinary care and special needs of animals as well as the all-encompassing operation of the organization and their programs. Nothing like giving from the good of your heart in hopes of some good karma for your finals!

The Taco and Margarita Crawl:

Unwind from 12-3 p.m. on Saturday with the folks over at Madison Social, Township and Tin Lizzy’s. Those who purchase tickets at madisonsocial.com/taco-marg-crawl will get to enjoy a specialty taco and margarita from each location and they will receive an “It’s Called Balanced” shirt to sport. Sounds like a good deal and a “balanced diet” to me! 

Courtesy: AllEvents.in

Sunday, April 29

FSU Baseball vs. Miami

On your last day of freedom before the fear of finals officially overcomes your soul, head out to Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium to cheer on the FSU baseball team in the final game of their weekend series against Miami. Students get in free as always, so don’t pass up a chance to catch some rays, drink some beer and root for the Noles!

Tawnie Simpson is a Senior Editing, Writing, and Media student at Florida State University. She enjoys (needs) a good cup of cold brew, she comes from a small town nobody knows called "about an hour south of Tampa" and she is often mistaken for 10-year-old Lindsay Lohan, but she's not complaining.
Her Campus at Florida State University.