10 Of Stephen Hawking’s Most Memorable Quotes

Stephen Hawking was a man who proved to the world that your physical state does not define your mental ability. At the young age of 21, he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS, leaving his body to gradually become paralyzed. Doctors gave him only two to three years to live. He lost his full ability to speak at the age of 43, and relied on a computer program in order to communicate and move his wheelchair. Despite all the physical challenges he faced, he provided life-changing research and insight in the field of theoretical physics. Some of his ground-breaking work includes his book, A Brief History of Time, and his well renown research on the subject of black-holes.

The impact he made on not only the scientific community, but the world will not be forgotten. His life story was adapted into a movie, The Theory of Everything, which allowed us an insight into his world and how he lived with ALS. Despite his deteriorating health, he inspired the world by living with a debilitating disease for over five decades. Here’s a look back at some of the physicist’s most memorable quotes that prove to us he was as much an optimist as he was a genius.

1. “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”

Courtesy: Quanta Magazine

2. I’ve been privileged to gain some understanding of the way the universe operates through my work. But it would be an empty universe indeed without the people that I love.”

3. “My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit as well as physically.” 

4. “Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.”

Courtesy: Newsweek 

5. “My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.” 

6. “Life would be tragic if it wasn’t funny.” 

7. “Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge.” 

8. “We are all different. There is no such thing as a standard run-of-the-mill human being, but we share the same human spirit.” 

Courtesy: The Today Show 

9. “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” 

10. “As scientists, we step on the shoulders of science, building on the work that has come before us-aiming to inspire a new generation of young scientist to continue once we are gone.” 

Rest in Peace Dr. Stephen Hawkings

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.