What to Say When You Have Nothing to Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Have you ever met someone who entered your life and all of a sudden was just there? Like going to get a drink or starting your day or even get dressed, you know they will be there? Yeah, me too. So, I know how it feels when something happens that can alter the life you two have made together, something that can change your every day habits. The fact that when you wake up you don’t know if you will see them or even speak to them, I know it well enough to give you some tips on how to cope with that.

1. Breathe

I know that’s the most obnoxious thing someone can say, but it works. Being able to stop, breathe and realize you’re here and present. You’re living and existing and regardless of what happens in the world, you are in control of your breathing.

1. Analyze

Now that you realize who you are and where you are on this moving rock, think about what just happened. Think about the situation you’re both in and know whether or not this will be something that can be dealt with. If the answer is yes, than great, sit down and talk just TALK. It doesn’t matter how awkward it is or how difficult it maybe to bring up certain points, the problem is bigger than language. However, if the answer is no, you still need to talk. You both need the closure and last words, you can’t walk down the street 10 years later with all those unsaid words building up and being said to someone else.

1. Reflect

Now that you have all your thoughts in order, think about what you’re going to do next. You can’t keep dwelling on a situation that hasn’t been dealt with or has already been resolved. Continue your day, talk to your friends and continue being you.