Valentine’s Day: An Elementary School Student’s Dream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Even though I’m old enough now to realize that Valentine’s Day is a very commercialized holiday, as an elementary school student, I spent all year looking forward to it. From what I’ve heard, it seems like all elementary schools were universal in how they celebrated the holiday and most students loved it.

Decorating your bags to collect your valentines in was the first part of the excitement. I always tried to make mine fancy, but it always ended up with pink, purple and red hearts all over it, with a few poorly drawn roses.

Going to the store to pick out what cards you would buy was fun too. But, they had to come with candy.

(Photo from https://img1.etsystatic.com/055/1/5489463/il_340x270.720532437_6q04.jpg)

Filling out the valentines and picking which ones would go to who was very important to 9 year old me. I had to make sure I gave the best/cutest ones to my friends.

The best part of the day on Valentine’s Day was when it was finally time to pass out the cards. Well, maybe the best part was when you got to eat the candy afterward.

Valentine’s Day is still enjoyable for people even after they’ve grown up, but I think as kids, when we didn’t really understand what the holiday meant, we loved it because it was a whole holiday dedicated to candy.

Victoria Bailey

Framingham '20

vice president & senior editor of Her Campus Framingham