Tips for Choosing Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

It’s that stressful time of the year again, when you have to choose classes for next semester even though it’s five months away. If you haven’t already registered, here are some tips to make the process less stressful.

Plan for the future

Make sure you’re picking classes you know you need to take, so you’re not wasting any credits. Also, pick classes that are prerequisites for other classes you’ll need to take down the line.

Time management

If possible, pick classes that give you a flexible schedule or at least a schedule that you know will be manageable for you, given any extracurricular you’re involved with or work. Also, try to create a schedule where you’ll have time to get enough sleep and get your homework done.

See what others are saying

While RateMyProfessor is not always an accurate judge of character, it can be helpful to see what other students have said about your professor, just so you have an idea of what he/she will be like.

Find a balance

Try not to take all of your hard classes at once. Break it up between 300 levels and gen eds, so that you won’t be drowning in work all semester.

Ask for help if you need it

Your advisor is there for a reason. Ask them what they think about your class choices or if they have any suggestions for you.

Get a second opinion

If your advisor wasn’t much help or you just want another person’s advice, don’t be afraid to ask one of your professors or another student for their insight. 

Breathe

Don’t stress out too much. There’s always time to change your schedule around or drop any classes before the semester starts.

Victoria Bailey

Framingham '20

vice president & senior editor of Her Campus Framingham