Step-by-Step Guide to How to Collect Memories, Not Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Step 1: Experience a reality check.

One must come to realize in their own time that memories are far more valuable than jewelry or clothes. Knick knacks collect dust, clothing and technology goes out of style; memories, stories, experiences carry on for generations. Once this mindset is in place, you’ll find yourself saving money for adventures, plane tickets, and miscellaneous, spontaneous outings.

Step 2: Prioritize your goals.

This will be similar to a Christmas wish list, but your adventure bucket list will be even longer! Road trips to take, countries to visit, extreme sports to try… all are must do’s, but with the unlimited college energy, there is, unfortunately, a limited college budget. Reasonably prioritize by putting the most desired activity, that matches your current budget at the top of the list. That way, goals will be crossed off without breaking the bank.

Step 3: Make the effort.

Once you have goals in order and ready to experience the world, it’s time to get to work! That’s right, work your heinie off; take that extra shift, gain time-and-a-half hours. Additional savings will come from packing your lunch for school, and avoiding that Starbucks run. Adventuring can be expensive, but it will all be worth it.

Step 4: Go places!

The destination is chosen, the money is saved, the adventure is planned and it’s time to take off! Whether you’re going across the state, or the world; whether it’s a trip to the aquarium, or a simple hike with your dog, it is these intangible moments that are worth far more than anything in stores.

Happy Adventuring! Remember to take a ton of photos; you’ll only regret the ones you didn’t take.

President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Framingham, Senior at Framingham State University, Finance Major. Avid animal lover, aspiring fashionista, and amateur traveler.
Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.