Reasons You Should Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Much like The Office and Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a comedy that focuses on a group of people in their work environment, in this case, a police precinct in Brooklyn. If you’re looking for a show that will make you laugh, I highly recommend this one. Here are some reasons why. 

It is hilarious without being offensive.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of comedies out there that claim to be funny when really the butt of their ‘jokes’ are offensive. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is completely free of that common problem.

It has a diverse group of main characters.

While too many shows have predominantly white main characters, this show’s main cast includes two black men, one of whom is gay, and two Latina women, one of whom is bisexual. All of the characters also have very different, distinct, and non-stereotypical personalities. 

All of the characters are lovable.

Out of the main set of characters, there isn’t a token ‘bad guy.’ You will love to love all of them.

It talks about important issues.

Even though it is a comedy, it still touches on things like feminism, sexism in the workplace, racism, and police brutality, in a serious manner. 

It’s more than just a show about cops.

Aside from following the lives of the characters while they’re working, it explores their lives outside the job, too and who they are as people. It really shows how they’re not just a group of coworkers; they are a family. 

It has great one-liners.

If you watch this show, I guarantee you’ll be cracking up during every episode and repeating all the memorable quotes to your friends. 

Victoria Bailey

Framingham '20

vice president & senior editor of Her Campus Framingham