This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

I’m walking to class and I see these two boys staring at me. I start to panic, thinking I spilled something on myself or my shirt is ripped, but then I decide nothing is wrong and keep walking. As I continue along the sidewalk a group of girls glares at me. I look down at myself again to check what I could possibly be doing wrong. The boys are now snickering and the girls continue to glare and look me up and down. I follow their gazes down to my feet. I’m wearing one of my favorite pairs of shoes. Very trendy black ones with an open toe, two straps, and oh, heels. That’s why they were staring. My tiny little two inch block heels. I run to class, far less confident in my outfit than I was before and slide into my seat. As I was sitting in class I became less sad and more so angry about the situation. Why couldn’t I wear what I wanted without some random person being critical of it? How dare they make me feel bad about an outfit that before that happened I had really liked? The more I thought about it the more I realized something needed to be said so here it is: My heels are not affecting your day.

Reason 1: I don’t care if they are a kitten wedge or a six inch stiletto no one’s shoes should be gawked at unless you are about to compliment whoever is wearing them. It is completely up to you how you chose to wear or not wear heels. Don’t be afraid to wear those shoes that you think are too tall for class and the same goes for the heels you think are too low to wear to that formal everyone else is wearing stilettos to. Point being that you should always feel comfortable and at ease!

Reason 2: If those are the shoes that you thought best coordinated with your outfit than by all means wear them! Some days I’ll have an outfit all picked out besides the shoes. Once I’ve gone through all my usual options like casual sneakers, booties, or flats I’ll throw on a pair of my heels and realize those are the best pairing with the look. You know when you’ve got just the right outfit and you feel good about it? Well, some outfits just feel better with heels.

Reason 3: Can you walk in the heels without falling or wobbling in them? Can you make it to class on time without taking them off and running? Are they causing you to limp because of blisters? You should always think about these factors before making the decision to wear certain heels. If you are perfectly fine strutting your way to class or even breaking into a light jog to make it on time then go ahead wear those heels! If you are walking tall and feeling confident then others will respond to this. The other side of this would be the limping, the wobbling around, or taking unsure steps. If this is the case then maybe take some time to practice in that pair without an audience to judge. Once you feel comfortable take those heels out to the public and wear them everywhere!

Reason 4: Lastly, wear whatever the heck you want!! If someone is using their time in their day to try and ruin your confidence then they obviously have bigger problems going on. Rock those heels with confidence and give the disproving onlookers something to look at!

Rachel Smith

Framingham '18

Former Co-Campus Correspondent; Graduated 2018; Fashion Merchandising Major with Communication Arts Minor; Dance Team, Fashion Club, Her Campus, and Peer Mentor