Maggie McNeill: A Literal Ray of Sunshine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Maggie McNeill is literally the perfect person to brighten anyone’s day! She’s smart, funny, outgoing, ambitious, and one of the friendliest girls you’ll ever come across!

Hometown: Stoughton, MA

Year: Senior

Major/minor: Psychology major with a Philosophy minor

Involvement: Vagina Monologues, Psi Chi honor society, Student Admissions Representative, TA for Research Methods II

What’s your biggest day-to-day motivator?

I feel like, especially with schoolwork, my day-to-day motivator is usually my end goal. So, I really want to be a counselor, and a psychologist down the line, so I would say that’s my day-to-day motivator, and to just help people in the end.

What’s your biggest life goal?

My biggest life goal is probably to become a grief counselor, as well as to travel the world, meet new people… continue going to school, just to try to get as much experience as I can in different areas, and to… I don’t know, I just feel like life can really suck sometimes, so just to try to make life suck less for people, essentially.

What’s the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?

Uh… COFFEE.

What’s your favorite aspect of the Vagina… Monologues?

My favorite aspect, I would say, is that… I just think it’s so cool how it brings a bunch of women together and empowers them, because I think so much of society—and you might not really even notice it on the surface—but it tries to pin women against each other and kind of create a really competitive atmosphere where women are constantly, you know, bringing each other down. And I love that, in Vagina Monologues, it’s like “Okay, we are all together. Like, we are all in this together.” It’s like women empowering each other, and there is not enough of that, so I love it!

What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekends?

I really like to hang out with my friends, my boyfriend, and then my family, my animals—you know, all that kind of stuff.

Tell me about the last time you played Twister (no, this is not code).

You know, I really thought it might be. I think the last time I played Twister was at my cousin’s house, and maybe, I want to say maybe sixth or seventh grade. It was ages ago.

What would be your perfect day?

My perfect day—okay, well, it would definitely not be this crappy cold weather we’re having. It would probably be 70 degrees, sunny, I would just get to see so many of the people I love—so whether that’s like friends, family, get to hang out with some animals. You know, I love Southwick’s Zoo, ‘cause you get to pet the deer, and I have done that, and that was one of my favorite days—so probably that, being outside, you know, maybe listening to live music, as some do, and just getting to spend time in nice weather with people I love.

How would your friends describe you in three words?

Loud, energetic, and positive/optimistic.

How would you survive a zombie apocalypse?

Um, I would get as many knives as I could. I would probably get a chainsaw. I would just, you know, go all out, ‘cause if I was gonna die, I’m gonna die killing a lot of zombies.

If you could change anything about your college experience, what would it be?

I would say that, although now I am busy (and I love it), I probably would’ve gotten involved in things a lot sooner. So, thankfully, Vagina Monologues I got involved in sophomore year (I probably wouldn’t even do that freshman year). But I would probably just be more active and try to be more confident and more sociable throughout college, instead of waiting to do everything, you know, my junior and senior year. I think sometimes you can be fearful when you come into new situations, and instead of taking advantage of all the things in front of you, you kind of just shy away… so I probably would change that a little bit.