This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Here are several ways to minimize the chances of getting sick. I’ve personally adopted some of these methods and I rarely get sick or when I do I’m usually feeling better within 12 hours.

Socialize. Dave Rakel, MD, an associate professor of family medicine at the University of Wisconsin suggests people who socialize more were least susceptible to the sniffles (Prevention, 2013, para. 4). It’s not about the number of people you know; it’s about socializing among peers or just about anybody.

Garlic. Allicin, an organosulfur compound in garlic, is supposed to be potent enough to fight off infection. Garlic added to food is a great way to boost your immune function. Amy Rothenberg, ND, who specializes in therapeutic nutrition and homeopathic medicine said “if you cook it to a crisp, it’s not as effective.” (para. 7). It’s best to eat one clove per day. The alternative is to take 250 milligrams of garlic supplement twice a day.

Gargles. Dr. Greger, a public health expert explained that you don’t get sick immediately after exposure because when a virus invades it has to travel a huge journey through the mucus in your throat before attacking your cells (para. 9). In a Japanese study, people who gargled three times a day were 25% less likely to catch a cold than people who didn’t. The amount of time to gargle is about a minute. It’s supposed to wash away the layer of mucus that the virus is trapped in.

Acupuncture. Depending where you go this approach can be expensive. Dr. van den Berg-Wolf, MD, a licensed acupuncturist and a professor of medicine at Temple University suggests to get treatment every 6 to 8 weeks during the cold season. There’s actually a specific acupuncture called the “flu shot.” It targets the spots in your upper and lower back to fight against the virus (para. 12).

Heat Up Wardrobe. According to an International Scientific Forum on Home Hygiene report, the flu virus can survive 8-12 hours on cotton clothing! To combat this it’s advised to “wash your clothing in hot water and full drying cycle to prevent illness,” says Allison Aiello, PhD, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan. If you’re ironing afterward use a steam setting. It may reduce the microbial load on your clothes.

Soak Up Socks. Leslie Solomonian, ND, an assistant professor of medicine at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine suggests slipping on a pair of cold, wet socks, then putting dry wool socks on top. The purpose is for your arteries to deliver more blood to the feet to dry out the wet socks. She recommends to do this overnight, which will drive circulation throughout the entire body, which increases surveillance of the immune system (para. 18).

Astragalus. Victoria Maizes, MD, executive director for the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine suggests to take 200mg of astragalus twice a day throughout the winter. The herb astragalus is an adaptogen. The herbs are supposed to normalize things and a good astragalus is a good adaptogen for the immune system (para. 22-23).

Rethink Extra Drink. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, studies have shown that excessive alcohol can reduce the ability of white blood cells to effectively kill bacteria (Prevention, 2015, para. 2). The recommendation is one drink per day for women. Also, alcohol causes dehydration and can disrupt your sleep which lowers your defenses. Romy Block, MD, an endocrinologist and assistant professor at Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, says if you’re already sick one drink can lengthen the duration of the virus by a few days!

Sugar. Like Alcohol sugar inhibits white blood cells from engulfing bacteria and viruses (para. 3). Michelle Katz, author of Healthcare Made Easy suggests women to take 6 teaspoons or fewer of sugar a day, and 9 teaspoons or fewer for men.

Get Vaccinated. This one should be the first step to take during the winter season.

Don’t Bite Nails. Scott S. Topiol, RN, and president of Murseworld.com says “germs build up underneath your nails, and biting them is a surefire way to let bacteria into your body.” (para. 9).

Exercise. I am guilty of this one. After exercising moderately or intensely for half an hour or an hour without stopping, there’s a 72 hour window which your body is severely distressed, and that’s a great time to get sick. Scott Weiss, MD, who has treated athletes in the NFL, NHL, and WNBA explains “you need to let your body recover and not force it when it’s in a weakened state.” Research shows that easy to moderate exercise can actually boost your immune system (para. 10).

Hold Your Breath. I used to hold my breath for several seconds once someone nearby sneezed or coughed. A MIT study revealed that coughs and sneezes can travel farther distances than previously thought. If someone nearby coughs or sneezes hold your breath for 10-15 seconds.

Fresh Air. Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center suggests opening a window or walking out your front door (dress appropriately) can increase immune function (Healthy Living, 2014).

2 weeks ago I bragged non-stop about how I haven’t been sick for a while. Literally, 48 hours later I caught a virus. Immediately, I took precautions and within 9 hours I felt better. It mainly had to due to the fact that I went out for some fresh air. As soon as I stepped outside I could already feel the virus-like symptoms decreasing.

Tedesco, Laura. “10 NEW Ways To Avoid Getting Sick This Season.” Prevention. Health, 11 Feb. 2016. Web. 28 Feb. 2017. <“>http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/how-doctors-avoid-sickn….

Wise, Abigail. “Why Getting Fresh Air Is So Good For You.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 08 Aug. 2014. Web. 06 Mar. 2017. <

• Framingham
  • Framingham State
  • framingham state university
  • health
  • illness
  • sickness
  • Her Campus Placeholder Avatar
    Armin A

Framingham

Ever wondered what it would be like to know a breathtaking star? That's how it feels like to be around Armin. The best lyricist of our era Armin has performed on many Hip Hop stages. Almost collaborated with Underground Legends like Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne, and Canibus. Unfortunately, there was a complication with studio timing and the plans fell through, but nonetheless Armin's lyrics will make you rethink the world we live in.  Armin exercises on a regular basis. He has trained in various Martial Arts like Aikido and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He has a Bachelor's of Science in Psychology and now pursuing a Software Engineer Certification with a prodigious 4.0 GPA.