How College Has Changed My Relationship With My Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Happy Mother’s Day to my Mom and my Best Friend

Throughout high school my mom and I had a typical mother/teenage-daughter relationship.  We cared for one another, but we also had our fair share of disagreement.  ~Typically~ we would be disagreeing about my curfew, the people I hung out with, or the mess in my bedroom.  I really only saw her as my mom: someone who provided for me and enforced the rules.  It wasn’t until I wasn’t living under her roof anymore that I started to miss her telling me to go to bed earlier, or asking me to do the dishes (surprised? Me too).  

I finally had so much freedom, I could hang out with who I wanted, when I wanted, and stay out as long as I wanted.  I didn’t have to inform her, or anyone for that matter, about my plans everyday.  Although this new found freedom was nice at first, it wasn’t long before I realized the rationale behind my mom’s rules. I learned the tougher way that staying up until 4am watching netflix or not cleaning my room only made things tougher on myself.  As much as I hated to admit it, she turned out to be right about a lot of things.

As our time apart grew, so did our relationship.  I used to try to hide the majority of my personal life from my mom during high school, afraid of her opinions and what she may say or think.  However, I found myself opening up more and more to her as my time at college progressed.  In turn, she has opened up to me more about her life, letting me see she was not that much different than myself at my age.  Along with her wisdom, my mom continuously offers me unfailing support, both with the good and bad.  Since my college is not too far from home, she always makes an effort to see me. Without asking, she was there to pick me up at 6am when I had the stomach bug, drop me off a case of water for my room, or sit on the sidelines of my games, even in the freezing cold.  Even when she can’t be there in person, my mom continues to be my number one fan and the first one there to comfort me on the bad days.  Despite the business within her own life — which is swamped balancing six kids, a job, and a household — she always makes time to check in on me, shoot me a text, and ask me how I’m doing.  

Distance without a doubt definitely has made our relationship stronger. Of course there is still so much room for our relationship to grow, but I am grateful for what it has become thus far.  College has taught me I need my mom a lot more than I thought.  Whether it’s a question about a stain, a vent session about my life direction, or just grabbing lunch just to catch up, she always listens, gives me a hug, and ensures me everything will be okay.  She has become more than my mom; she is my therapist, my cheerleader, my comic relief, my best friend, and my mentor. So thank you mom, for putting up with my angsty-ness, seeing me at my worse, and still bringing me homemade pumpkin muffins.

Freshman; Undecided (about a lot of things). Currently in a relationship with coffee and Nate Archibald.