A Gilmore Girls Tradition: The Revival in My Grandma’s Eyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Years before the Girls were available on Netflix, my grandma and I watched and rewatched every episode on DVD. It was a tradition for us to watch entire series repeatedly. Around 7 we would sit down in the living room with our TV tray tables and whatever deliciousness she cooked up. We would watch whatever we were in the middle of, but no show was watched more than Gilmore Girls. Our order would go something like Gilmore Girls, Dawson’s creek, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls, Grey’s Anatomy, etc. So when we heard our favorite show was coming back the excitement was too much. On November 25 we sat down with a bag of chips, Crystal Light iced tea, and then proceeded to watch every episode one after the other. After stirring with it for a couple days we came back together to discuss the master peace we had just watched.

Richard

We started our discussion off with Richard Gilmores death. He is the Domino effect for many of the transitions you see the girls go through. Lorelai’s doubts, Emily’s…. everything. Grandma liked how they handled the situation and the timing, having his death be a few months prior. It was expected, we all knew it was going to happen. Richards death must be one of the most heartbreaking deaths that we’ve had to endure while watching a show. He had his moments but true GG fans love him and his sequin vest.

Emily

The jeans, the children, the DAR, that portrait…

Stars Hollow the musical

Her rating for the entire revival were “4 stars and most of the 5th one filled up”. That empty space is for the musical. We both hated it. It was long and irrelevant. The musical took too much precious time away.

Emily’s mere miss with death

My grandma didn’t see it but when Emily is in Nantucket the night of Lorelai and Luke’s wedding, I was almost certain she was gonna die. I didn’t want her to but for some reason when she was slipping on her shoes it felt like the end.

Life and death brigade reunion

We have mixed feelings on this scene. It’s very obvious that it’s an imitation of a scene from the Across the Universe. I couldn’t tell if the creators did it this way because the show has always been filled with references from other mediums in pop culture or if it came from a lack of originality. Either way grandma did enjoy it because it was a natural way to bring that gang back together.

Berta/Gypsy the Maid

We love that they had Rose Abdoo come back not only for her classic role as Gypsy but as Berta Emily’s new maid. Having Berta’s family move in adds to the transformation of Emily. As a grieving widow Emily doesn’t seem to care or be able keep up with her surroundings. She doesn’t notice herself becoming more empathetic. Logan/deedee:  Grandma absolutely hated this! Yes, we realize that this goes along with the “bringing it full circle” but really Rory? Dean and Lindsey all over again.

Sookie

Grandma wants more…

Jess, Logan, and Dean controversy

So much wasted time taking sides. Anyways we all know in the VERY end it’s Jess.

Luke and Lorelai

She loved how the progression of their relationship seemed very compatible with how it was during the series. There isn’t much to say here other than perfect!

Rory and Lorelai

The most notable change is Lorelai lets Rory make decisions and (other than the book) doesn’t interfere. For example, with Dean Lorelai and Rory got in a massive fight when Rory had sex with him. But with Logan she doesn’t give too much of an opinion. Our favorite mother daughter duo has grown a lot personally, but for the most part their amazing relationship is not too different. 

Emily and Lorelai

Now these two have made some serious improvements! Yes, the way they treat each other for most of the revival is the same. In the end though, you can sense a peace between the mother and daughter that they didn’t have before.

Mr. Kim

IT’S FREAKIN MR. KIM!

The last four words…

Well Grandma predicted this one. I still have no words.

All in all, this revival was love and Grandma’s reaction to the critiques is perfectly summed up in this Gif