Why You Should Love Your Melon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.
What is Love Your Melon?
Love Your Melon was founded in an entrepreneurship class at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota by two friends, Zach and Brian. On a mission to improve the lives of children battling cancer since October 22nd, 2012, it was founded on the simple concept of putting a hat on every child battling cancer in America. To date, more than 1,500 college students at over 150 different schools nationally have signed on as ambassadors to sell and donate hats as a part of the crew. As a part of the new partnership with CureSearch and The Pink Swear Foundation, ambassadors will work directly with both organizations in the fight against cancer.

How can Fordham students take part?
Every time someone purchases a Love Your Melon hat, another hat is donated to a child battling cancer. Every year there are 15,000 children in the country given new cancer diagnoses and by purchasing a hat, you are able to provide one for a child. In addition to this, Love Your Melon donates half of their proceeds to The Pinky Swear Foundation and CureSearch. If you know a child battling cancer that hasn’t received a Love Your Melon hat yet, visit the request a hat page to request a hospital delivery.

Who is wearing LYM? (celebs, notable figures, etc)
All of our campus crews recently had a challenge of trying to get famous celebs to recognize the organization. Every one from Jessie James Decker, Josh Duhamel, Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin, Anderson Cooper, Andy Cohen, Dr.Oz and many more. My personal favorite is Steven Tyler: 

What’s one thing everyone should know about LYM?
Love Your Melon was created by two college students, just like all of us. They had a mission to make a difference in the lives of innocent children who have been diagnosed with cancer and wanted to get involved in something bigger than themselves. It is an inspiring organization that is truly making a difference in the lives of children all over the country. By bringing this organization to Fordham’s campus, students can simply buy a hat or donate to help make this organization even more successful and make a difference in even more lives. 

Which LYM hat is your favorite?
My favorite hat currently is the salmon Bayside Cap. I just received mine the other day and I haven’t taken it off! Its perfect for spring!

How can I get involved in LYM?
If you want to be involved in this organization please contact me! My email is mcandler@fordham.edu and as a new organization on campus we are always looking for new members!

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.