When in Europe, with Zachary Vaughn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Have you ever met someone who makes you want to be friendlier and more enthusiastic about life? Zachary Vaughn is that person. Zach is one of the most interesting people you could possibly meet here at Fordham, and I guarantee he will brighten your day just by saying hello! So far, Zach has made the most of his time here at Fordham; from dancing with Fordham Flava to studying abroad, this ram is taking advantage of every opportunity that come his way. Right now Zach is in London, but he sent us some incredible insight from abroad about what makes Fordham so special.

Where are you from? I was born-and-raised in Cleveland, Ohio, but have always been a New Yorker at heart.

What year are you? I am currently a junior in college (but I’m studying abroad this semester… so… I tell myself I’m still a sophomore.)

What is your major? I’m a Business Administration Major with a Dual Concentration in Marketing and Finance (Alternative Investments) with a minor in Sustainable Business. I’m hoping this is my final decision.

What activitie​s are you involved in? I am involved in Flava, Fordham’s only hip-hop dance team on campus. My Flava Family is everything and more to me. I am also involved in Rose Hill Society (RHS). If you know me well enough, you could say I love anything and everything Fordham-related. To be a part of an organization in which I can demonstrate my passion for Fordham and its students is one of my greatest joys! I love it.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? I hate saying this (partly because it deserves a better rep), but Fordham was my “safety school.” I was wait-listed at NYU’s Stern School of Business, and I thank God everyday for not being taken off that list. Prior to NYU’s decision, I hated the, “everything happens for a reason” quote. Because of my Fordham experience, I now stand by that saying more than anything in the world. Things truly do happen for a reason, and I could not imagine myself at another university. Fordham is not just my school; it’s my family. I was also accepted to Boston College’s business school. To students stuck choosing between these two Jesuit schools, just ask yourself: Do I want to be a face in their crowd or a member in our family?

How did you decide to study abroad? You always hear students coming back from studying abroad describing it as the best experience of their lives. I studied abroad for “the experience” and memories. I wouldn’t describe myself as a tremendously cultured person; study abroad was the perfect opportunity to explore new languages, cultures, foods, and customs.

Do you have any advice for students who want to study abroad? My best friend Michelle (who is also studying abroad in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this semester) gave me the perfect insight to this experience: “Study abroad is completely individual.” I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. Yes, study abroad allows students to meet new friends and form new relationships; however, I would also say that study broad is a more individual-focused experience. You do a lot of self-exploration while abroad. I have learned so much about myself (i.e. I now question my future career goals). Moreover, I’ve realized my family (and close friends) are everything and more to me. Studying abroad has made me appreciate my family and friends so much more!

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? I’m still working on this one myself. If you know me personally, I’m a tremendously stressful and anxiety-driven person; I love juggling multiple things at once. In a round-about answer, I would say “prioritize your life.” Know what is most important to you and push through the things that cause temporary stress. Happiness is all that matters.

What’s your favorite thing about New York? New York is one of the few places I truly feel alive (corny, but true).

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? My other best friend Bella and I couldn’t get into a club one night (it was a very upsetting situation)……so we bought cheesecake in Grand Central, ate our feelings, and took touristy pictures. It was a bad night that turned out amazing!

What’s on your NYC bucket list? I have yet to take a boat cruise on the harbor and Instagram with Our Lady Liberty.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? ……when I made Fordham Flava and proved the world wrong that gingers can dance/twerk.

What’s your least favorite class at Fordham? Accounting. Please…take a lap.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? Eddie’s Lawn in the springtime. I don’t think anyone could argue with that.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Live everyday like it’s your last day at Fordham. I’m already a junior, and I remember my first day at Fordham and being greeted by NSO. By this time next year I’ll be a senior. Like, are you kidding me?!

What’s your dream job? I’ll tell you when I’ve found it.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? I was always taught – both in college and in my high school – that we are men and women for others. Whether you are religious or not, this is a great message to live by.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? One thing people would be surprised to learn about me is that I was a gymnastics coach for three and a half years. I started gymnastics when I was three years old and still keep up with the sport to this day.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? The Bronx Zoo is free on Wednesdays. I’m a junior in college. I have yet to go there. Like what?!? By process of elimination, I would have to say the Botanical Gardens. I love running on the trails during the fall and spring.

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Fordham Road… Lol. Arthur Avenue is amazing, especially for off-campus students like myself.

Cafeteria or Grille? Grille food. Cafeteria people-watching.

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Wait…are these stores? #FordhamRoad

RamVan or Subway? Depends on the time of day/night. RamVan is reliable, but there has yet to be a time when I haven’t felt the need to vomit / predict my own death.

Met or MoMA? Definitely the Met. I am not a huge fan of modern art.

Hot Dog or Bagel? Panera bagels (cinnamon, toasted with cream cheese). Done.

Broadway or Off-Broadway? BOTH! My family and I love going to Broadway musicals, but off-broadway plays are just as good if not better.

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Is it wrong that I haven’t been to either?

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park.

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.