Valentine’s Day Date Ideas That Aren’t Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Valentine’s day is just around the corner. If you and your significant other still have no idea what to do for this special day, finding reservations for dinner somewhere may be out of the question. Do something different this year besides just going to dinner! Luckily, New York City is the perfect place to be during Valentine’s Day because of all of the special activities.

1. Valentine’s tour at the MOMA: Visit the Museum of Modern Art to view their gallery involving some one the most timeless, famous artworks. This romantic night is complete with a candlelit wine reception and a private tour. 
  2. Top of the Empire State Building: Go to the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building to see the most spectacular views of New York City. 
  3. Classic Harbor Line’s romantic cruise: Another way to see the views that New York City has to offer— but on a boat! 
  4. Ice skating at Rockefeller: A classic date night at one of New York’s most iconic attractions.
  5. Westminster Dog Show: Who wouldn’t want to go to the dog show? It’s being held at Madison Square Garden and sure to be a great date night. (Personally, I think that this is definitely the best way to celebrate Valentine’s Day considering that I like dogs more than I like my own boyfriend.)
  6. Go on a Day Trip: The possibilities are pretty endless— you can hop on a train and go skiing at hunter mountain, visit 7 Lakes Drive in the Hudson Valley, or even go to Washington D.C. to tour the capital. 
  7. Nitehawk Cinema: I know this is technically just dinner and a movie, but this movie theatre is amazing. If you’re going to go to the movies on Valentine’s Day, you have to come here. They have huge, luxury seats, and you get served dinner and drinks while you are watching the movie!
  8. Concert: There are tons of concerts happening – pick a genre you both can enjoy and go out and dance! 
  9. The Museum of Natural History: My favorite museum in the city is hosting a Valentine’s Day event called “Romance Under the Stars”. It takes place in their planetarum where you can see all of the stars in the sky.
  10. Stay in!!!! Why not Netflix and Chill? Staying home, ordering in, and just chilling out is a great way to relax and spend the night. 

No matter what you end up doing, I’m sure you’ll have a great night spending time with your loved ones. Happy Valentine’s Day! xo

Christina Avianto is a senior at Fordham University majoring in communication and culture and minoring in digital technology and emerging media.