andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate Survival Guide to Westburn Townhouses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Flat Configurations:

Westburn Townhouses have the most unique configurations of all of the Fordham housing. When you walk into the flat on the ground floor (in England, our “first floor” is what they call the groundfloor, and what we consider to be the second floor is called the “first floor” here. Keep that in mind when you get housing assignment), there’s the first bedroom: a small single with a private bathroom, which is a huge plus. On the second floor, there’s the common room/kitchen. This area is spacious and comfy which makes it the perfect hangout spot for you and your flatmates. On the third floor, there’s one big room, which is the designated triple. Because this room houses three students, the bathroom is huge. It has a standup shower as well as a bathtub! If you’re worried about storage in the triple, don’t be, there are two relatively large closests and three dressers. The fourth floor has two doubles with a shared bathroom. In total, eight students will live in each flat. There’s one female flat and one male flat, both right next to each other. Although seven roommates feels overwhelming, the constant company helps battle the culture shock many study abroad students feel. At the same time though, each student has their individual space when they want to have a Netflix binge watching session. 

Neighborhood:

The nearest tube stop for the Westburn Townhouses is the Kilburn Park Station. With just a quick three minute walk (or seven if ya feel like strollin’), you can be at the front door of your flat from the tube station, which is helpful in those dreadful rainy London days. As you walk up Kilburn High Street (High Street signifies “main street” throughout London), you will notice the diversity of Kilburn Park. The makeup of this neighborhood is a composition of both residential and urban: there is an abundance of supermarkets and shops, including Primark, as well as apartment buildings and townhouses. The neighborhood was named the most diverse neighborhood in all of London and many people refer to Kilburn Park as the Bronx of London, so you’ll feel right at home.  

Coffee:

Jet lag does not go away over night. To fight the constant sleepiness, you need a good cup o’ joe. Starbucks, thankfully, is located on Kilburn High Road— an approximate 2 minute walk from your flat. If you are feeling adventurous, there is a Caffe Nero farther up the street. I recommend stopping at Starbucks before you make this journey. Kilburn High Road is at a slight incline and only sleep deprived individuals can feel the full effect of this undetectable incline. 

Grocery Shopping:

Since Fordham doesn’t offer a meal plan while abroad, you are left with the challenge of cooking or eating out every night. If you’re on a budget, like every student studying abroad, you’re forced to go grocery shopping. There are a couple of grocery stores on Kilburn Highroad which makes adult-ing a little easier. The closest one is Tesco Express, a small version of the actual Tesco, however it contains a lot of the essentials. Up the road there are the bigger supermarkets: M&S, Sainsbury, and Iceland which all have larger selections and are relatively inexpensive. 

How to Get to Fordham’s Campus:

Currently, Fordham shares a campus with Heythrop College in Kensington. However, Heythrop College is closing after this year, and Fordham’s fate is unknown. Even if they don’t keep the same campus, Fordham will pick a spot that is convenient to get to no matter where you live. As of right now, we study on High Street Kensington, which is an approximate 25 minute journey (depending on the tube schedule). Since Kilburn Park is located on the Bakerloo line, you start your journey going south towards Elephant and Castle. After three stops, you get off at Paddington because you have to change lines to either the District or Circle. At Paddington you follow the signs for the District and Circle lines going westbound, and once you’re on that platform you wait for a train. You get get on either the District or Circle train (they’re both the same amount of stops: Bayswater, Notting Hill, and High Street Kensington). High Street Kensington is your destination and by far my favorite station. They have tons of takeaway food places (takeaway is the equivalent of takeout in Europe) and caffeine fixes. If you’re running late for your morning three hour class, there’s an opportunity to get some coffee at the High Street Kensington station. After you’ve fueled up on food and coffee, you can make your way to campus. When leaving the station you make a right out of the station and then another right onto the first block, Fordham is straight ahead at the end of the street!

Best Pubs:

Europe has a lot of alluring qualities, but one of the most attractive characteristics is their 18 and over drinking age. Students over 18 have unlimited access to clubs, bars, and pubs, which is refreshing. If you’re looking for a low-key night, your best option is to go to a local pub (just be prepared for middle aged Englishmen yelling at the television when a game is on). The best pub in Kilburn Park can’t be closer to your flat, it’s located less than 50 feet. The pub is called Queens Arms and the staff enjoys serving American students, which I have found is unusual in London. Their food is somewhat Americanized mixed with a traditional British feel. Your safest bet is to try fish and chips here. Furthermore, the drinks are good and cheap and they have a large selection of both beer and wine. Also, rumor has it that the owner of the pub is father to a famous British singer…guess who. 

Night Transportation:

Although the Bakerloo line is convenient, it doesn’t run 24/7 like nearly all other tube lines. However, there is a night bus that you can take to get back safely to your flat that accepts your Oyster card! Thankfully there are a lot of options that have bus stations all over London; the 16, 98, 332, N16, and N98 will all take you back to Kilburn High Road starting at 11:00 pm (23:00). If you aren’t in the state to trust your navigation abilities, London is Uber friendly and inexpensive when compared to the cab rates. 

Fordham University Rose Hill 2018.