Take a Holiday-Themed Movie Tour Around NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

The Plaza Hotel

Where you’ve seen it: Eloise at Christmastime, Home Alone 2

Located on 5th Ave at the eastern edge of Central Park South, the Plaza Hotel is a New York City landmark. It serves as home to Eloise in Eloise at Christmastime and as refuge for Kevin McAllister when he gets lost in New York in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. The Plaza is beautifully decorated during Christmastime and there’s even a pink Christmas tree put up in honor of Eloise. It’s a must-see for any New York City holiday movie fan.

The Gapstow Bridge in Central Park

Where you’ve seen it: Home Alone 2

This iconic Central Park bridge, which has been featured in many different movies and television shows, is the backdrop of two great scenes in Home Alone 2. The Gapstow Bridge is where Kevin first encounters the Pigeon Lady and also where he greets her on Christmas morning, giving her an ornament and promising to never forget her. Stop by this picturesque spot for some festive Instagram photos or simply take in the beautiful views of Central Park and Manhattan around you.

Serendipity 3

Where you’ve seen it: Serendipity

A less obvious holiday movie landmark is Serendipity 3 on 60th St. on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. Rom-com movie lovers will recognize this spot from the 2001 film starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale, Serendipity. The film takes place at Christmastime, which makes it a Christmas movie in my book. Head over to Serendipity 3 and order yourself a frozen hot chocolate despite the cold temperatures outside. You won’t regret it!

34 Street/Macy’s

Where you’ve seen it: Miracle on 34th Street

Complete some shopping for your loved ones while visiting this holiday movie landmark. Macy’s on 34th Street served as the setting for the 1947 holiday classic Miracle on 34th Street. Every year Macy’s goes all out for decorating and lights up a beautiful sign on their building reading “Believe.” It will surely brighten your spirits and make you feel like a kid again.

Rockefeller Center

Where you’ve seen it: Elf, Home Alone 2

Christmas in New York is not complete without a visit to Rockefeller Center. The tree, the ice skaters, and the atmosphere in general will certainly put you in the holiday mood. Whether you decide to be brave and actually get on the ice like Jovie and Buddy did in Elf, or you decide to simply take in the festive sights like Kevin in Home Alone 2, you will most certainly be feeling in the holiday spirit after going to Rockefeller Center.

Bonus: Find the World’s Best Coffee from Elf

If you’re still looking to escape the cold and do something fun and holiday movie themed, try some coffee shops around the city to find the world’s best coffee. Though the diner in Elf that boasted the world’s best coffee was never named, you can certainly judge for yourself where you think the city’s best cup comes from. (Hint: Gotham Coffee on 68th and 2nd and Third Rail Coffee near Washington Square Park have some of the best).

Kirsten is currently a sophomore at Fordham University studying Film & Television. Her interests include reading memoirs by female comedians, eating artisan donuts, and watching Bravo reality shows. You should follow her on Instagram @kirsten_knowles.