The Super Bowl Commercials You Need to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It’s no secret that while a lot of people watch the Super Bowl for the actual football, others watch for a different kind of entertainment. For some, it’s the halftime show. For many, it’s the commercials. According to Variety, a 30-second ad spot cost an average of over $5 million this year. Needless to say, there’s a lot at stake for the companies who choose to put themselves in front of one of the biggest audiences in television.

The anticipation leading up to the commercials is so intense that many companies released teasers, or even the whole ad, prior to the big game. But if you didn’t get the chance to sit down and watch the Patriots’ crazy comeback and all the excitement in between, here’s a breakdown of the must-see ads of Super Bowl LI.

Honda CR-V – Yearbook   

VIEW HERE

This ad takes a walk down memory lane with stars Tina Fey, Steve Carell, and Viola Davis, just to name a few. Both slightly creepy and weirdly charming, celebs’ yearbook photos come to life to share some words of wisdom and cheesy inspirational quotes.

Audi – Daughter 

VIEW HERE

This is one that will wrap you up in emotion and give you the chills. Audi’s commercial highlights the wage gap issue and advocates for equal rights. It tells the story of a little girl competing in a soapbox car race while her father struggles to find the right words to address gender inequality with her. Poignant and progressive, this ad finds a way to memorably address such a serious subject.

Kia Niro – Hero’s Journey 

VIEW HERE

Depicting one woman’s journey to protect everything from whales to ice caps, this commercial scores big in the humor department. While a lot of ads fell flat, this one stands strong thanks to the comedy queen that is Melissa McCarthy. Backed by Bonnie Tyler’s powerhouse “I Need a Hero” vocals, this one checks all the boxes when it comes to making a solid Super Bowl ad.

NFL – Superbowl Baby Legends, Who’s Next? 

VIEW HERE

Two words: cuteness overload. Featuring toddler versions of famous football legends, this commercial honors some of the greats while showcasing some adorable little football fans. Even for those who may not recognize who each baby portrays, these tiny show-stoppers are sure to put a smile on your face.

84 Lumber – Journey 84 

VIEW HERE

Probably the most talked about ad of the night, 84 Lumber’s politically charged showing is making headlines for more than one reason. Fox deemed the original ad too controversial to air. This led the company to end the commercial with an invitation to watch the second half of the story play out on its website. The sudden surge in traffic caused the site to crash, leaving viewers confused. In addition to the crash, many criticized the company’s commercial for its questionable intentions. Regardless of the controversy surrounding the ad, this is an emotional one that you won’t want to miss.

Bai Brands – Bai Bai Bai 

VIEW HERE

This hilariously odd commercial for beverage brand Bai stars an unlikely pairing, yet it managed to resonate with many. Christopher Walken and Justin Timberlake performed the duet we never knew we needed in our life. The witty play on words made for one of the most memorable spots of the night, and ultimately a fan favorite.

Sophia is a sophomore from Houston, Texas majoring in Marketing and minoring in Film & Television at Fordham University. When she is not in class you can find her watching Survivor, listening to true crime podcasts, or wandering around New York City in search of her next favorite sweet treat.