Spring Break 2015: Savannah, GA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

A Spring Break trip to the South was exactly what I needed this year. Since the temps in NYC have hardly been feeling like spring, it was amazing to sit on the beach, wear dresses, and go outside without cringing from the cold. Savannah, Georgia is one of the most exciting places to be at this time of the year because St. Patrick’s Day is practically a national holiday there. Downtown Savannah is packed during “St. Patty’s Day Weekend” (think Spring Weekend x 10 with no open container law in place) and on the acutal holiday, there is a famous parade. Below are some of my favorite pics from the celebrations and other places around Savannah. I will look at these to pass the time until Easter break (and you can too!)

Tybee Island is a 20 minute drive from Savannah, making it the hot beach spot for most locals in the area. Fun fact: it’s the beach where Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth filmed The Last Song – *swoon*

The Tybee Lighthouse looks like it came straight off a movie set.

Parade time! “Bless your little Irish hearts and all your other parts.” ~Precious~

If you zoom in, you might notice some red smudges on a couple of these sailors’ cheeks. It’s a tradition for the young female spectators of the parade to apply as much red lipstick as possible and run into the street to give kisses to the servicemen and dignitaries who walk by. It was crazy to watch so many girls swarm these groups and try to kiss as many guys as possible!

It’s not St. Patty’s Day if the fountain isn’t dyed green, duh.

This is a small portion of the crowd in one of the town squares, City Market. It was estimated that 100,000-300,000 people were in downtown Savannah for the celebrations.

I love this picture of the traditional Savannah river cruise boat. Doesn’t it just scream spring?!

It wouldn’t have been a proper Southern Spring Break if I didn’t partake in a traditional Southern meal: fried chicken, mac & cheese, green beans, & super buttery mashed potatoes (thanks Paula Deen).

Olivia is a junior at Fordham University. She is a Communications major from bright and sunny Southern California, but the East Coast is her second home. She actually does love long walks on the beach, but she also loves being a friend, sister, daughter, and aunt. Most importantly, she hopes her articles make you feel happy.