A Shout Out to Our Teachers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Let’s face it, everyone is ready for the summer to start, the tans to come, and the essays to end. However, with the semester coming to a close, I say we show some appreciation to all of the people who have helped us along the way: TEACHERS.  Growing up with my mom and dad both being teachers, it was hard not to notice how much work they went through to help get their students to where they wanted to be.  Everyday, I would watch both my mom and dad wake up at 5 am in order to finish up some grading, write recommendations for students, answer emails, make tests, etc.  Then, they would head to work, teach all day, have extra help after school, and continue to grade into the late hours of the night.   Teachers never get a break and always have to be on for the students.  As a student, I know It is difficult to acknowledge the amount of work teachers go through for students because sometimes it feels as though teachers are pounding on meaningless work, making tests impossible, and constantly questioning your work.  But, one ultimately has to know that teachers are doing their best in helping you become a smarter, better person.  It takes a special kind of person to want to devote their lives to helping other people.  To me, that is what a teacher does. Of course there are some teachers who are just in it for the paycheck; however, most have the students best intentions in mind.  I have definitely had some questionable teachers in the past, but I have had some teachers that have inspired me, been my role models, and taught me how to express who I am and who I want to be. Now, more than ever, when I am away from home, my teachers have helped me grow.  The professors are willing to help in any way possible whether it’s staying after to help with an economic problem, editing rough drafts of essays, giving book suggestions, or just being a decent person that any student could rely on.  Maybe I am biased because my family is a family full with teachers; however, I know that without the teachers I have had, I would not have achieved the goals I set. And honestly my goals might have been nonexistent or different.  So, this week, try to thank your teachers for all they do; they deserve it.  Yeah, I said it. Learning is cool sometimes.

Maeve is a sophomore at Fordham University. She is a Communications major with a love of graphic design. At Fordham she is involved with Relay For Life, Fashion for Philanthropy, and of course Her Campus. She is from Massachusetts and loves everything about Boston Sports (including Tom Brady--sorry New Yorkers). Being from Cape Cod, she loves the beach, the sun, and seafood. She is excited to be writing for Her Campus!