Senior Staff Series: Lauren Winn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Name: Lauren Winn

Graduation Year: 2018

Major/Minor: Journalism and Political Science 

Favorite thing about FU: The friendships that I have made. I came here looking for a fresh start and I didn’t know anyone coming in! I was so excited to make friends and I ended up with the greatest group of people I could have ever wished for. I love my people so much and I can’t wait to keep making memories with them for years and years to come.  

Favorite Fordham memory(-ies): I have a favorite memory from every day that I have been at this school, I truly look back on almost every second fondly. But I think one worth mentioning is during freshman year a few of my friends and I were exploring the city on our own and I remember looking around and having this out of body experience thinking “oh my God, this is actually my life.” I had never really felt a dream come true until that moment and I just knew the rest of my life would be filled with those moments. I also can’t think back on my last concert with the Fordham Satin Dolls without getting misty. I love them all so much and I will miss all the time we spent together!

How does it feel to be graduating? I’ve really come around to the idea. If you asked me this last semester, I would’ve told you to stop talking about it or just say that I was never leaving this place because my denial was a force to be reckoned with. But now I’m forcing myself to look forward to this giant change because I know that the last four years have prepared me for whatever my future will throw at me.

What are your plans post-grad? I’m going to stay in New York and work as an Anchor Production Assistant for MSNBC at Rockefeller Center. I will work with the teams that produce the 9 AM and 11 AM hours of MSNBC Live and I will make sure anchors Stephanie Ruhle and Ali Velshi are prepared before and throughout their broadcasts! I am over the moon about this job opportunity because not only do I admire Stephanie and Ali, the entire production team consists of just brilliant people and I know will never stop learning as long as I’m around them.

What are you going to miss the most? I’m going to miss sitting with all of my friends on every Friday night and looking around seeing how much love and laughter there is between us. There is just a feeling of bliss and comfort in those moments knowing I’ve found such an amazing family of friends. I know I’ll still feel all of that love when I graduate, I will just miss seeing them so often. My friends have been the glue that holds my whole life together, but luckily, we’ll still have each other after this crazy time in our lives is over.

What was your favorite class at Fordham and why?  I think my favorite class at Fordham was “Values in the News” with Gerry Wagschal. It was an extremely interesting course that sparked really cool conversations, one of my best friends was in the class with me and we got to do once-in-a-lifetime things like visit the set of World News Tonight with David Muir. We even met the guy! And I almost passed out. It was great.

What’s your favorite Arthur Avenue restaurant? Oh man…don’t make me pick! I would die for the arancini and sangria at Michaelangelo’s, but the penne a la vodka at Enzo’s is ridiculous. And an Isabella from Tino’s rocks my world…But I will say…I think my new favorite is Fiasco. I went there once recently and I haven’t stopped thinking about how I want to go back! 

What is your advice for future rams? This is an amazing time to be happy. I spend a lot of time getting hung up on insecurities or things that make me upset. There’s not enough time for that! If there’s something making you unhappy, cut it out of your life. Your time here is short, use it to your benefit and do things that only make your heart full – you deserve that.

What should all underclassmen do before graduating? Ride the ram, watch a sunrise from the football field, go to Satin Dolls concerts, take a class you never thought would interest you, keep a journal – even if it’s for a small amount of time, you’ll be happy you kept those memories. 

Metro North, D Train or Ram Van? 

I am all about that Metro North life. 

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? 

I love the zoo more than any normal person, probably. If you ever need a partner to go to the zoo with, I’m your girl!

Best sandwich at Rams? 

Major tie between the Hashtag and the California Wrap (pro-tip: get this w/ chicken cutlet, you won’t regret it)

What’s your go-to karaoke song? 

‘Last Name’ by Carrie Underwood

Artist you’d most want to see in concert? 

I have Old Dominion, Khalid, and Justin Timberlake on my list right now. But in my hypothetical dream world, I would love to see a One Direction reunion show and I would have loved to have seen Queen in their peak.

Dream job? 

My dream job ever since I was a little kid is to be a famous singer – like Taylor Swift level but instead of a country girl brand, it would be more “small town girl from Massachusetts who just loves to sing and put on a damn good show.”

Name three celebrities you’d most want in your squad

Jonathan Van Ness, Ben Platt, Kelsea Ballerini 

What are you watching on Netflix right now? 

It has taken me a million years to get through Criminal Minds and I am almost there. I WILL finish it if it’s the last thing I do!

Lastly, I would just like to thank my parents, my sister and brother and every single one of my friends who have made my life so much better over the last 4 years. I owe everything to you!