Senior Staff Series: Jacq Kozak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Major/Minor: English and Visual Arts with a focus in Photography

Favorite thing about FU: The people. Someone is always around to talk to or hang out with or drink with. I love that every room on my floor of Salice-Conley pregames loudly at the same times. College is one big sleepover.

Favorite Fordham memory(-ies): There are a million. The first few that come to mind are my first spoken word poetry show and painting my name on the wall of the Black Box four years later as a senior. Playing Cards Against Humanity with a priest on my first night of college. Going on spring break with twenty of my best friends and sitting on a beach for a week. Studying abroad for a semester.

How does it feel to be graduating? It feels WEIRD and not quite real yet. I’m not good with change, so I’m a little nervous. It just feels like we’re all partying a little bit more than usual and pregaming things we don’t usually pregame.

What are your plans post-grad? A lot of trips to the beach, concerts, and spending time with my best friend. Graduating is definitely going to mess with my head, so I’m going to take some time and relax at home.

What are you going to miss the most? Saturday afternoon football games and Friday afternoon day drinking on Eddies. Countless weekends of shows in the Black Box and Sunday mornings gossiping on the couch with my roommates. Wednesday walks through the botans and Tuesday nights at Clinton Hall. Being a minute walk away from all of my friends. Three AM Pugsley’s. Everything. Everything.

What was your favorite class at Fordham and why? Large Format Photography. It was the first film photography class that I took (a mistake, don’t be like me), so I threw myself right into the deep end. Taking this class taught me how to be a slower photographer and to shoot photos with a purpose. I learned that all cameras are just boxes with holes in them and that pouring chemicals all over the place in a dark room is very therapeutic.

What’s your favorite Arthur Avenue restaurant? Tino’s, especially when I don’t actually have to walk to Arthur Ave to get it (thank you to the Salice-Conley RAs and their penchant for Tino’s catering).

What is your advice for future rams? Have friends in more than one place. If you stick yourself to the same people all the time, you won’t have a safe haven to go to when shit hits the fan. Also, to the future rams from New Jersey, a PSA: Rams sells pork roll/Taylor Ham to fix all of your Sunday morning scaries.

What should all underclassmen do before graduating? Try something you wouldn’t normally do. If you have even a vague interest in something, there’s a club for it. You can try whatever you want with no repercussions. You can be someone totally new.

Metro North, D Train or Ram Van? Usually the Metro North. I’m so lazy, it’s much easier to get to.

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? How do you resist watching the lions roll around at the zoo on a spring afternoon?!

Best sandwich at Rams? The Rachel, hands down. Ask for it on a long roll.

What’s your go-to karaoke song? Green Light by Lorde or You and I by Lady Gaga (when I actually participate in karaoke – a blanket apology to my friends for never going!)

Artist you’d most want to see in concert? Going to concerts is kind of My Thing™️, so I’ve seen most of the artists I listen to more than once. Of the bands I haven’t seen, I would say either Lorde or Paramore, but only from a General Admission pit. I also still wake up every morning wishing for a My Chemical Romance reunion.

Dream job? A concert photographer. I might be living this a little bit already.

Name three celebrities you’d most want in your squad: Lorde, Chrissy Teigan, and Frances McDormand.

What are you watching on Netflix right now? Jessica Jones (and working my way through all of the Marvel movies – again).