School Apparel: Bookstore Chic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

From the second we collegiettes step foot onto campus during summer orientation, we are given free Fordham t-shirts. As any Fordham student will attest, this trend will continue throughout our four years at Fordham and will result in our having a lot of Fordham apparel. Of course, just because we have free t-shirts doesn’t mean that we will not frequent the bookstore to buy more Fordham clothing to show our Ram pride. Luckily for us, Fordham’s school color, maroon, is a dark neutral that can match any outfit so we do not have to sacrifice fashion for school spirit.

1. Free T-shirts
I think it’s safe to say that by the time I will have graduated next May, I will have accumulated more than 30 free Fordham t-shirts. This fact — simply put in college student terms — basically means that I can avoid the laundry room for over one month and still have clean clothing. Fordham t-shirts are great and super versatile since they can be used as gym apparel and pajamas, or just as regular clothing. Of course, as all Fordham collegiettes know, there’s an understood hierarchy of free t-shirts, with Fordham Spring Weekend t-shirts sitting at the very top and right underneath the Fordham New Student Orientation shirts.

2.  Preppy Tops

While most of the clothing sold at the bookstore gives off an athletic-vibe, some of the apparel can be preppy. For example, this simple gray fitted shirt can be paired with white or salmon colored jeans, a summer scarf, and a blue blazer for a polished and fresh spring look. It can also be worn with khaki or plaid shorts and a colorful pair of Sperrys.

3. Sportswear

Check out the bookstore to buy some Fordham Under Armour apparel. Shirts, such as this Fordham Maroon Under Armour top, can keep us collegiettes™ dry and comfortable as we jog around campus and can help us show our Fordham pride as we exercise. While you’re shopping at the bookstore, take a look at the new Fordham yoga pants. These simple black pants would go great with a plain white t-shirt and are great for yoga classes or even for hanging out in the dorms.  

4. Lounge Wear

Just because we collegiettes are living in the fashion capital of the world does not mean we have to forgo our comfortable sweats. This year, the Fordham bookstore debuted this new sweatshirt, which provides the warmth of a hoodie with the professional flair of a cardigan. As an added bonus, this sweater has buttons, so we collegiettes can easily remove it without messing up our hair. Since this sweater has a simple design, it can match almost any outfit and can function as the perfect layering piece.  

5. Hoodies
It can be said that the quintessential piece of college clothing is the college hoodie. While most students will usually be seen sporting hoodies to their 8:30 classes, many will continue to wear their hoodies throughout the day in an effort to stay warm and comfortable. Hoodies are great to wear to Fordham football games and function as great layering pieces. However, if the hoodie’s not right up your alley, you may consider buying an over-sized Fordham rugby polo. These maroon and white-stripped polos are great to wear to Fordham sporting events and can also be worn over t-shirts, due to their over-sized nature. These polos go great with jeans and give off the perfect polished-but-comfy vibe.

6. Fashion Friendly Pieces

The Fordham bookstore currently sells some Fordham v-neck t-shirts that would look great with a pair of black shorts. Since these v-neck shirts look a little more polished than an average t-shirt, they would also look great with skirts and can be worn any time of the year. 

7. Pinnies
Channel your inner lax bro and buy a Fordham pinnie. Pinnies are great to wear during spring weekend, especially during the spring weekend concert on Marty’s lawn. They can also be worn when you are relaxing or tanning on Eddies and also function as a great baiting suite cover-up. Some of Fordham’s dorms sell customized pinnies such as O’Hare Hall’s “Bro’hare” pinnie and some Fordham club sports teams selling maroon colored pinnies with the letter F for Fordham on the front.

8. Winter Accessories
Though not quite apparel, winter accessories can function as great assets to any wardrobe. Throughout the year, different GO! teams sell Fordham hats and gloves (and even t-shirts) to fundraise for their different GO! trips. So, next time you see a GO! team selling accessories, stop by their table and load up on some Fordham swag.

As a true Fordham collegiette, I love showing my Fordham colors whenever I get the chance. Luckily, Fordham has recently been selling tons fashion-friendly apparel that can help us showcase our school pride without clashing with our wardrobes.  

Sara Shahmiri is a senior Economics major and a philosophy and business double minor in the Fordham College Honors Program at Fordham University. On campus, Sara is a senior member of the United Student Government Budget Committee, Fordham College President of the Pre-Law Society, and a New Student Orientation Captain. She is also a legal intern at a non-profit in the Bronx. While in college, Sara published her first novel, Rumors, which chronicles the adventures of four high school students who must juggle the responsibility of their academic and social lives. Sara has been writing for Hercampus.com since the fall of 2011 and absolutely loves working with the Her Campus Team!
Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.