Sammie Banjany: Peer Educator Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If you’ve been to a Senior Night or Rose Hill Rush, you’ve definitely seen Fordham’s Peer Educators passing out waters to keep people hydrated. Beyond tabling at these events, trained Peer Eds provide alcohol education at Core Programming and in residence halls around Spring Weekend. President Sammie Banjany can be seen at most of these events, joking with her fellow E-Board members and making sure everything goes smoothly. Since December marks the group’s annual Holiday Scavenger Hunt and the release of the Holiday Passport, we decided to get to know more about Sammie, an important female leader on campus, and Peer Eds. Enjoy!

Where are you from? Manalapan, New Jersey

What year are you? Senior

What is your major? Psychology with a sociology minor

What activities are you involved in on campus? Peer Educators and psychology research (Motivation study and Memory study)

What are some of Peer Educators’ main events throughout the year? Greeters at the Gates: Before heavy drinking weekends like Halloween and Spring Weekend, we hand out water and food (protein) [Author’s note: Mozzarella sticks & chicken fingers from Simon’s … can we say YUM?] to keep people hydrated and full to stay safe.

Holiday Scavenger Hunt: Each year, students are given the opportunity to explore New York City with a holiday themed scavenger hunt. They also have the opportunity to win great prizes!

Rose Hill Rush: a 5k run around campus to kick off Spring Weekend. 

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations? Time management. I really like to make lists and create a plan as to when I will complete everything I need to do and how long it will take me. It is sometimes difficult to balance so many things at once, but just keep going because eventually it will pay off!

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Multicultural Issues with Armando Fuentes

What’s your favorite spot on campus? Eddie’s on a beautiful spring day.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Get involved both on campus and in the community. I have learned so many new things and have matured both intellectually and as a person because of Peer Eds, volunteering, and internships.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? The best part of a Jesuit education is the values that are instilled in you over four years. I was never very religious, but that should not deter anyone from a Jesuit school. I have been lucky enough to get a well-rounded education that I feel only a Jesuit school can provide. 

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? He is no longer here but Zachary Kornhauser. 

What’s your dream job? I want to be a forensic psychologist.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? Last year during a huge snowstorm, my friends and I decided that we wanted to go sledding, but we didn’t have a sled, so we trekked all through the Bronx to find one. Of course, at 9pm during a snowstorm, nowhere was open and we never did find a sled, but we had a great time laughing and playing in the snow. 

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Bronx Zoo

Arthur Ave or Fordham Road? Arthur Ave

The Caf or The Grille? The Grille

RamVan or Subway? Subway

Met or MoMA? Met

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Off-broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? MSG

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park

Olivia is a junior at Fordham University. She is a Communications major from bright and sunny Southern California, but the East Coast is her second home. She actually does love long walks on the beach, but she also loves being a friend, sister, daughter, and aunt. Most importantly, she hopes her articles make you feel happy.