Phil Reilly Reporting for Duty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Everyone who has seen the NROTC cadets dressed in uniform on Wednesdays heading towards training has definitely run in to this week’s campus celeb, senior Phil Reilly.  Phil juggles schoolwork and his responsibilities for the corps, yet still manages to take on other activities on campus.  Say hi to him if you ever get to go to a CAB ticket raffle or during Spring Weekend (he’ll be one of those crazy people running around with head sets).  Or, go see him in RENT this weekend in Collins!

Where are you from? I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Staten Island.

What year are you? A senior

What’s is your major? Mathematics

What are you involved in on campus?  I’m on the Executive Board of CAB, I’ve done four shows with the Mimes & Mummers, six shows with Fordham Experimental Theater, I sing in the Gloria Dei Choir, play violin in the school’s orchestra, did a Global Outreach Trip to Guyana (which I would recommend to everyone and their mother) and I teach English as a second language with the Pedro Arrupe Council.

Tell us about RENT! What’s it like to be part of a show like that? – I was such a huge fan of Rent in high school I saw it twice on Broadway (the perks of growing up in New York) so to be part of something that meant so much to me is absolutely amazing. The music and story are brilliant and it is a show that is important more so today than ever because our generation doesn’t truly understand the travesty that was the AIDS epidemic. Entire communities, especially in cities like New York, were completely wiped out. So this show is to honor them. Working on this show has been nothing but a pleasure. Our director is amazing and it is honestly the most talented cast I have ever worked with. Be sure to check it out this weekend!

You’re on NROTC, have you gotten your assignment yet? You going anywhere awesome? Yes I am in NROTC and applying for the scholarship back in high school is probably the greatest decision I ever made. It is an absolute honor to serve your country and be trained to become a Naval Officer. I have met some of my closest friends in NROTC and even got to travel with the Japanese Navy this past summer. I just found out about a month ago that I was selected to be a pilot, which is very exciting news although I think my parents are a little nervous. I assured them I’d be safe. I’ll be heading down to flight school in Pensacola, Florida later this year after graduation.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? Well it was sort of a complicated process. The short of it is that if you receive the Navy ROTC scholarship they assign you to a school that you’ve been accepted to. The first time I ever actually visited Fordham was after I had agreed to come here; but I fell in love with it immediately and every semester that I come back I fall in love with it all over again. How can you not be happy walking by Eddies and looking out to Keating? During any season its incredible.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships?  Well first off I am married to the calendar on my phone and my daily planner.  I’ve also been told that I have so much energy that if I wasn’t always busy I’d go insane, and I think that’s true. It’s cliché but its all time management and being able to create a schedule that works for you. I don’t mind having days that start at 4:30 in the morning and don’t end until way past midnight. You only get one life, make the most of it.

What’s your favorite thing about New York?   No other city has the energy that NYC does. You come off the train and you feel the buzz of this place. So many people in such a small space and it makes you want to strive for greatness. I also love that each neighborhood, even the boroughs, has their own personalities.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory?  Way too many to list here. I always say there is nothing like Christmas in New York, but also summers in the city are always a blast.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? Go to the top of the new Freedom Tower before I leave.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? Again, just way too many to list. I always say that I am incredibly blessed to be here and for the friends that I have made since day one and the friends I’ve made along the way. I will cherish the memories I have with all of them. One of the coolest experiences I’ve had was this past fall. I was walking along side Eddies, and a cool breeze came through and the leaves all started falling around me and it was really surreal and I felt like I was in a movie.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham?  I’ve really loved so many of my classes. If I had to pick one I would say my Black Prison Experience class, it really opened my eyes to a lot of injustices that I never had to think about.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham?  Multi Variable Calculus II (Yes there’s even more calculus). The class wasn’t even a requirement. I took it to push myself and lets just say I pushed myself off a cliff.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus?  The fountain by Hughes, it is such a beautiful place for self-reflection and meditation. Fun story, my friend decided to swim in it freshman year when it was first installed, clothes and all.

What’s your dream job?  I have a couple. One would be a high-ranking officer in the military who works with the president. Another would be mayor of New York. My dad’s a firefighter and I would love to do that, but I also always wanted to go to law school. I still have some soul searching to do.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is?  The constant reflection, both of yourself and of society. You should feel uncomfortable with the world around you. If you are not, look harder.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you?  I don’t get attached too easily. But once I do, I’m really good at keeping friendships, even long distance ones.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens?  Botans

Arthur Ave or Fordham Road? Arthur Ave

Cafeteria or Grille?  Caf

Conway or Dr. Jay’s?  I don’t even know what those are. Shoes?

RamVan or Subway?  Freshman year I was all about the subway. Now I’ll get lazy and Ram Van or Metro North it.

Met or MoMA?  Met.

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel

Broadway or Off-Broadway?  Off-Broadway. There are some awesome hidden gems that are usually cheaper.

Radio City or Madison Square Garden?  MSG. Nothing beats a Ranger’s Game at the Garden. (Although everyone should see the Christmas Spectacular at least once.)

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge?  Central Park. A lot of fun memories there, and you discover something new every time.

A senior in FCRH, Stephanie is a double major in Political Science and American Studies. She is from Eastchester NY, which is about 20 minutes away from Fordham. She is involved in the Fordham Dance Team, is a Secretary of the Residence Hall Association board, New Student Orientation, and various other clubs.