The Phases Of Coming Home From A Semester Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Studying abroad is one of the best experiences college can offer. What they don’t tell you, though, is just how hard it is to go back to reality after spending a semester wining and dining your way through Europe. These are the stages of the semester coming to a close, and how to deal with leaving your home away from home.

1. Writing the date and realizing you have such a limited number of days left.

2. Celebrating every “last” to its fullest, no matter how trivial it may be.

3. Having your gym membership run out and catching a glimpse of your #AbroadBod in the mirror. 

4. Buying all of the last-minute souvenirs you can get your hands on.

5. Making the most of your final days in your international home.

6. Trying to fit everything into the suitcases you came with and realizing you bought way more than you should have.

7. Once your suitcases are packed and ready to go, you finally come to terms with the fact that you have to leave.

8. When the day everyone has to leave finally arrives.

9. Landing back in the States and being hit immediately with the jet-lag.

10. Seeing your friends and family for the first time.

11. Peeping your bank account after your endless spending this semester.

12. Realizing that your weekends of European adventures will be replaced by Netflix and early bedtimes.

13. Getting excited to go back to school not only to see all of the friends who stayed behind, but also the ones you became close with during your time abroad.

*All gifs from giphy.com 

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.