This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Dear Fellow Transfer Students,

Transferring colleges is an extremely brave process to go through. Often students will settle at a school that they aren’t comfortable with just because they don’t think it’s worth it to transfer out. I found that the most irritating part about my transfer process was what other people thought about my decision. I felt like I was wrong. All of my friends loved their schools, and I was ashamed that I didn’t love mine. A year ago, I couldn’t have imagined transferring out of what I thought was my dream school. But in reality, it just wasn’t the place for me. I was heartbroken at the fact that I would have to leave my new best friends and an incredible school behind. However, I was the only person that was in control of my own happiness. I had to transfer colleges in order to be happy again.

People transfer colleges for many reasons whether its size, location, major, or financial reasons. While the transfer process may seem overwhelming, just remember why you’re transferring in the first place. Don’t let anyone discourage you, you have to do what you can to make yourself happy and comfortable. Classes will be different, nightlife will be different, and people will be different, but try your best to ease into your new surroundings. I know it may feel like you’re a freshman again at your new school, but don’t let change discourage you! Eventually you will get in the flow of doing things at your new home.

You’ll see all the Instagrams and Snapchats from people from your previous college, but don’t let FOMO bum you out. Of course you’re going to miss parts of your old school and friends. Sooner or later you’ll make more friends at your new school, and you can always go and visit your old university. Explore your new campus and get involved! Check out the exercise classes that they offer. Join clubs and extracurricular activities. Really try to build a sense of community.

There are going to be times where you question your decision, but always know that you’re at a new school for a good reason. You were strong enough to breakaway rather than settle at a college that you weren’t comfortable with. It’s going to be hard, but don’t ever feel like you made the wrong decision. You’re not alone and everything is going to fall into place, I promise.

Christina Avianto is a senior at Fordham University majoring in communication and culture and minoring in digital technology and emerging media.